4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by Dan Kinney RSS

Trapping field - inconsistent PDF file import

swheat _

I am new to the forum and have used Monarch for almost a year.  I don't consider myself an advanced user in any way, but I do feel comfortable with the basics and have built quite a few models.

I have read many of the threads that discuss trapping fields as well as the issues with importing PDF files (columns shift, etc.).  Of the ones I read I couldn't find an answer to my issue so I decided to post my own question.  If the answer is in another thread, please direct me to that one.

As mentioned in other threads, importing a PDF file is very inconsistent.  Sometimes the columns are aligned and other times they are not.  I tried adjusting the import options, but couldn't see any difference in the results.  Perhaps I wasn't using them correctly.

Anyway the shift in columns is obviously causing the traps I had created to miss data (they worked fine the first month but the second month the columns shifted).  The detail trap I have set seems to work fine...it is the footer traps that don't.  Plus the column shift is not consistent.  It seems to move for some records and not others.

A sample of the report import is below.  I had to paste it in two groups because it was too wide, but the lower part should be to the right of the upper part.

ClientName                    Transaction   Bill Type                           Date  

/CarrierName                       ID                                         Booked                                                                               

Pacific Nissan, A Division of Scottsdale Auto Lease                                                                               

Willis of Florida                                                                               

58948        Term Policy           05/14/2008                                                                               

59460        Reporting             05/16/2008                                                                               

59462        Reporting             05/16/2008                                                                               

Zurich Insurance Services, Inc.                                                                               

55741        Term Policy           05/05/2008                                                                               

55744        Term Policy           05/05/2008                                                                               

ClientName                    Transaction   Bill Type                           Date  

/CarrierName                       ID                                         Booked                                                                               

Robson Communities - BONDS                                                                               

CNA Surety                                                                               

55525        Term Policy          05/17/2008                                                                               

Zurich Insurance Services, Inc.                                                                               

29994        Term Policy          02/24/2008                                                                               

30139        Term Policy          02/07/2008                                                                               

43213        Cancellation          03/07/2008                                                                               

ZZZNot on Approved List                                                                               

55528        Term Policy          05/14/2008

/CODE

Effective       LOB/Tax/Fee               Policy Number    

Date                                                                               

01/01/2008      Package Total               01LX32470866   

04/01/2008      Garage and                  10SSEAPD11903  

Dealers                     00                                                                               

04/01/2008      Crime                       01LX32470866                                                                               

Total Willis of  

Florida          

05/05/2008      License and                 08742138       

Permit Bond                                

05/05/2008      License and                 08742137       

Permit Bond                                                                               

Total Zurich     

Insurance        

Services, Inc.   

TOTAL Pacific    

Nissan, A        

Division of      

Scottsdale Auto  

Lease            

Effective       LOB/Tax/Fee               Policy Number       

Date                                                                               

05/17/2008      License and                  124131294        

Permit Bond                                                                               

Total CNA        

Surety                                                                               

02/24/2008      License and                  08801408         

Permit Bond                                   

10/27/2007      Bond - Misc.                 08717959         

03/07/2008      License and                   929256000       

Permit Bond                                                                               

Total Zurich     

Insurance        

Services, Inc.   

05/14/2008      Bond - Misc.                 BE2618119        

Total ZZZNot on  

Approved List    

TOTAL Robson     

Communities -    

BONDS            

/CODE

In the output I need the client name as well as the carrier name.  I couldn't figure out a way to use the names (in the upper portion of the report), because there would be nothing unique to identify the client from the carrier in the trap line.  In some portions of the report, these names also shift.

So I decided to use the totals after the detail (in the lower portion above).  The "Total" is for the carrier, and "TOTAL" is for the client.  So I created footer traps using the word "total" and made them case sensitive.  On the advanced tab I have checked Start Field On Line number 1, and End Field On End of left Justification.  It appeared to work until I discovered the shift for some records.

I tried making them floating traps, but since I need multiple lines that didn't work.  I also tried the suggestion in several of the threads about using Start Field On Preceding String _____ in current line.  I used the word total, but it wouldn't let me make it case sensitive, so that didn't work.

I also made two different traps - one for one position of the Total and another for the shifted position.  That works as far as actually capturing the data, but it creates two columns in the output and then I have to figure out which one is the true value for the detail record.  Plus who is to say that next month the columns won't shift again and I'll have to adjust or re-create the traps?

I'm about to pull my hair out on this , so I hope there is a possible to solution to this.  Thanks for your help!

• Trapping field - inconsistent PDF file import
          Grant Perkins

Hi swheat and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a nasty double problem to dealwith.

I think trying to get the PDF conversion stable is a good first step, especially as it worked for the first month.

Acrobat reader can tell you which pdf writer created the file. Check for differences in different files. If this gives a lead see if you can get the 'supplier' of the file to try the original creation program again and whether it is stable.

One plan be would be to open the file for edit using, say, Adobe Acrobat and then recreating it by re-writing it to see if that gives consistency. This would be a useful first step.

With that I will head off to look at the trapping issues and look out for any answers you find to the issues above.

HTH.

Grant

swheat _

Thanks for the suggestions.  I wasn't really sure where to look in Acrobat reader to find the which pdf writer was used, but when I looked at the properties for the April file as well as the May file, the pdf version was the same...v. 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x).

I don't really know how to recreate a pdf file by re-writing it in Adobe Acrobat.  Most of the time I only use Adobe to view the files.  Recently I did have Adobe Acrobat Professional installed, so I'm guessing I have the features to do the re-write, but don't know what they are.  I know this is a Monarch forum, but would you give me the steps to do this, please?

Thanks.

Grant Perkins

Hi,

Properties is the place to look and under the Description tab in the Advanced section in the lower half of the screen (assuming you have V8 reader - may be elsewhere if not) it should tell you the Appication, PDF Producer and PDF version.

Acrobat 4 sounds a little elderly and I suspect that much more consistency may be available from later variants. That said if the field that worked and the file that don't work so well seem to be from the same engine it suggests any problems lie elsewhere.

If you have full Acrobat installed (I don't so maybe someone else can provide guidance on this?) you should be able to use Acrobat to open the file for edit and then re-save it (i.e. re-create a new file using Acrobat without actually changing anything). You could then load in Monarch to see if it makes any difference. It may not but others have used such an approach successfully on their files.

You could also check for any other differences between the early good files and later less good file. Different fonts and settings for example.

Other than that you have the controls in Monarch (iirc you have V9?) for whether you use the older V8 version of the interpretation (should not really be necessary unless the original work was done with V8 and used some specific attribute of it's conversion) or play with the settings described in the Help file in the section "Customising the PDF Import Options" although I think you may already have done that from what you wrote.

You can try some fairly extreme settings to see what happens.

It's a little difficult being specific on this I'm afraid. Is there any chance that you could make a problem file available for assessment if the Acrobat re-creation option does not work?

I think we still need to stabilize the interpretation, if at all possible,

before addressing the trapping issue.

HTH.

Grant

With the full Adobe Acrobat open the PDF file and click on FILE / SAVE AS and give it a new name. Or you can click on FILE / PRINT and use the ADOBE PDF print driver.

In the past I have had PDF files when opened in Monarch would be entirely blank. After using the full Adobe Acrobat product to re-create the PDF it would open in Monarch just fine.

As long as you have the full Adobe Acrobat product installed I would make this the first thing you do with any PDF you work with. There are many PDF writers out there and some are better then others, but the best is Adode Acrobat.

I hope this helps.