2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

CTOD Function

lutzaccounting _

I have a field that is a character field that I want to be a date.  The data is in mmm-yyyy. I would like to convert it to a date using CTOD but I cant get it right ...

• CTOD Function
          Data Kruncher

Hello, and welcome!

To convert your field to a proper date with CtoD, you need the month, day and year.

Embed a day in your date, like this:

[SIZE=2]

CtoD(Left(,3)"/01/"Right(,4),"m/d/y")

/SIZE[/CODE]

This will give you the first of the month. This is how I deal with my fiscal periods, because the final reports never show the day number anyway.

HTH,

Kruncher

• CTOD Function
            Grant Perkins

I have a field that is a character field that I want to be a date.  The data is in mmm-yyyy. I would like to convert it to a date using CTOD but I cant get it right ...[/quote]

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will need to add a dd to make the string a date, assuming you can choose a dd to use.

ctod("dd-"+)

should work under normal circumstances.  dd would be a day in the month.

So if dd was entered as 01 and mmm-yyyy existed as JUN-2008 the above formula would concatenate 01- with JUN-2008 giving 01-JUN-2008 as a string of text.

CtoD will then convert that to a value that can be displayed in a field defined as date format.

Is that what you need to achieve?

HTH.

Grant

Edit: Or Kruncher's solution of course if you need the m/d/y format as a starting point ..   overlap postings! :rolleyes: