1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Problem with trapping

Terry Coco

I am pretty new to Monarch and I am having a problem trapping.

I am trying to pull information from our invoices.   We have some invoices that have 1 page, some that have 2, not all invoices have the slit width.    I am trying to pull shipped, price, net price & the slit width What I am having a problem with is the slit width, I cannot seem to pull that information from page 2 of the invoices. 

Hope this is not to confusing!

Item Number        UM     Shipped Backorder Tax        Price      Net Price

PET-RBW-1          MI     160576.0         0.0 no             0.00        0.00

Embossed PET,Rainbow                                                          

Pattern                                                                       

******PATTERN      288                3D Rainbow                            

******SLIT WIDTH   SLIT WIDTH         Slit width                56.25 in                                                                               

PET-RBW-1          MI   334854.0        0.0 no             0.00        0.00

Embossed PET,Rainbow                                                          

Page 2

Item Number        UM     Shipped Backorder Tax           Price        Net Price    

-

-- -

-

--- -

-

PET-RBW-1             **Cont**                                                    

Pattern                                                                               

Thank you,

T Coco

• Problem with trapping
          Grant Perkins

I am pretty new to Monarch and I am having a problem trapping.

I am trying to pull information from our invoices.   We have some invoices that have 1 page, some that have 2, not all invoices have the slit width.    I am trying to pull shipped, price, net price & the slit width What I am having a problem with is the slit width, I cannot seem to pull that information from page 2 of the invoices. 

Hope this is not to confusing!

Item Number        UM     Shipped Backorder Tax        Price      Net Price

PET-RBW-1          MI     160576.0         0.0 no             0.00        0.00

Embossed PET,Rainbow                                                          

Pattern                                                                       

PET-RBW-1          MI   334854.0        0.0 no             0.00        0.00

Embossed PET,Rainbow                                                          

Page 2

Item Number        UM     Shipped Backorder Tax           Price        Net Price    

-

-- -

-

--- -

-

PET-RBW-1             **Cont**                                                    

Pattern                                                                               

******SLIT WIDTH   SLIT WIDTH         Slit width                56.25 in         /code[/quote]

Duplicated to display format and ask some questions ...

Hi Terry,

I have to say that the format above is not completely clear and unambiguous in what it presents - to me at least.

Can you give us some indication of what you have managed to trap successfully so far. Which lines are important and which not important?

Assuming that the Item Number lines are important and have most of the information you need I think you would benefit from the following.

First.

A Page Header template even if you don't need any of the data in that area. It will make the processing of records that overlap pages much easier.

Second.

An append template that uses exactly the same trap as the Detail template but has a single field defined on the line at the position that you would expect to find the Slit Width value. for that field go into the Advanced Preferences tab and set a 'Start Field on' preceding string value of "slit width" so that the field is only populated when Monarch finds the character string "slit width" on a line to the left of the field position.

I suspect there may be more to this than that but for now it may allow you to make some progress.

HTH.

Grant

Edit to add:  I suspect the  **Cont** line for the item may not help you here but I am hoping that the preceding string approach will by-pass the problem.