20 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

Fun with XML

Nick Osdale-Popa

Here's my data (only 2 shows out of 71 displayed):

tags.

This obviously works, but is there a better way?

EDIT: Let's throw in the StartDateTime property as well.

• Fun with XML
          Data Kruncher

Now I don't feel so bad using Monarch to organize my digital music files by parsing DOS dir /s output. Who said it's all business around here?

Since you're not after every possible field, I set the last field as the detail and appended the others, with a little cleanup to strip tags. 5 mintues, tops.

That work for you?

• Fun with XML
              RalphB _

I don't seem to be able to open the attachments.  What do I need to do so I can open them?

• Fun with XML
                  Grant Perkins

I don't seem to be able to open the attachments.  What do I need to do so I can open them?[/quote]

Ralph,

If you are right clicking as I seem to do by habit you will have problems.

Left click and follow the questions by saving somewhere local to you and all should be well. Plus if you have V9, once the download is complete you can just click on the file to open it as a Monarch session.

(Until Nick gets his wish to parse the files of course .... at which point a few more choices may be required.   )    )

Grant

• Fun with XML
                      RalphB _

Whenever I left-click on the attachment I get the following vbulletin error message:

RalphB, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. /code

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 here at work.  I'll try it when I get home tonight and see if I get the same error.  I'm using Firefox at home.  I also have a newer version of IE at home.  Maybe it will work with a newer version.

Ralph

• Fun with XML
                          Grant Perkins

Ah.

Then there may be another reason for the failure ...

Do you have the ability to Post Attachments shown in the little Posting Rules window at the bottom of the browser page?

Grant

• Fun with XML
                              RalphB _

Grant,

Nope...the little box at the bottom says "You may not post attachments".

What do I have to do now?  I don't see anything in my profile settings unless I'm overlooking something.

• Fun with XML
                                  Grant Perkins

Grant,

Nope...the little box at the bottom says "You may not post attachments".

What do I have to do now?  I don't see anything in my profile settings unless I'm overlooking something.[/quote]

Ah.

OK.

Hmm.

There may be a short intermission at this point, given that it is Conference time and people are travelling.

Grant

• Fun with XML
                                Data Kruncher

I attempted to include my model as text between CODE tags so that it could be copied and pasted, then saved as an xmod but it exceeds the maximum post size allowed by the forum by about 30%.

No joy.

• Fun with XML
                            Nick Osdale-Popa

That was my original idea to use appends, but if I find I need additional fields, I may run out.

Maybe in Ver10, we can convince Datawatch to read an XML file as a datasource! <hint, hint, nudge, nudge>

• Fun with XML
                                Nick Osdale-Popa

For the attachment, your browser should prompt you to save the file to disk, it's just a model.  You'll need to copy my report structure from the original post to a file, then you can use the downloaded model against it.

-

Another advantage to reading XML as a datasource is that you could then load model files into Monarch!

• Fun with XML
                                    Grant Perkins

Another advantage to reading XML as a datasource is that you could then load model files into Monarch![/quote]

Erm, I think that might get a bit confusing. For me if nobody else.

Interesting concept though ...

Grant

• Fun with XML
                                        Nick Osdale-Popa

Erm, I think that might get a bit confusing. For me if nobody else.

Interesting concept though ...

Grant[/QUOTE]

Let's see if I could clarify...

If Monarch could parse an XML files as a datasource (which technically, that's what it is), you could then use a Model File as a datasource, since it's in XML format.  Then all the Model information would be in table format. An interesting idea, nonetheless.