6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by Nigel Winton RSS

New to the Forum and to Monarch (subject: List Views)

SimonM _

Hello everyone, as the title suggests i'm new here :).

Haven't been using Monarch very long and not yet in a Live environment.

Having a few issues locating the correct "List Tables" and "List Views", as shown on the second page of the Database screen :-

File > Open Database > then the "Select a dataset" screen.

First questions is how do I create a "List View" that I can access at this point?

I would like to create a "List View" that contains data from two of the existing "List Tables" which are dbo.IVNT_ORGNZ /Band dbo.IVNT_LOCATION[/B].

Not sure of the jargon that is used with Monarch but I don't seem to be able to find anything under this subject in the Applications Help[/B] facility. So if anyone can point me to the correct Help section or provide a little advice it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

• New to the Forum and to Monarch (subject: List Views)
          joey

Welcome to the forum.

In this screen you are selecting a table or view that you want to use as an input source to Monarch. 

If you want to define a view to use, you'll need to do it within the external database and not in Monarch.

What database are you using?  SQL, Access, DB2, ect?

SimonM _

I am using an SQL Database.

So I should be creating the "List View" in the SQL database then, rather than using Monarch?

No wonder I couldn't find anything on the subject then - lol.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm sure i'll be back with some more beginners silly questions :D.

Is there a Monarch FAQ on the Forums?

Might be able to avoid asking questions that have been covered lots of times before.

The only FAQ i've seen here was actually about the forums.

Cheers

Si

henryiriawan _

Hi Simon,

Do you mean by searching the old threads? You can click on the top right side (Search) link to find the old threads, if that's what you want....

Grant Perkins

Is there a Monarch FAQ on the Forums?

Might be able to avoid asking questions that have been covered lots of times before.

The only FAQ i've seen here was actually about the forums.

/quote

Simon,

Don't be concerned about asking questions that may have been answered previously. Well, not in the early days of using Monarch at least.  

There is a small amount of orientation required to get your head around what Monarch can do and, roughly, how it does it. After that I think it is really a matter of understanding clearly what you need to do for the task you have been set, what options Monarch offers to get you to the solution (and there are probably several) and then how best to go about it at your current level of knowledge. If that fails then seek help and move to the next level.

Things should start to drop into place quite quickly with one or two 'moments of sudden understanding and enlightenment' which I think most of us have experienced. Most of Monarch is very clear to use once you have reached the 'got it' point after a few hours or days. A few quite powerful features are less obvious and easy to miss until the need arises.

For a fast introduction and swift understanding I would recommend;

1. Work through the early chapters of the Learning Guide up to about 8 at least, maybe as far as 10. The cherry pick the rest that may be of use to you in your immediate focus.

2. Ask questions here.

3. Consider seeking permission to attend a training course - good value for the  knowledge and productivity they provide.

4. If you can foresee a number of projects that look like they may be complex see if you can persuade your management to obtain some initial consultancy/training oriented input to set you off on the right track.

One or two days may be very adequate for this purpose. Monarch is not a hugely complex monolithic product but can produce a rapid return on investment made even more rapid with a little initial assistance for new users.

HTH.

Grant

Nigel Winton

Yesterday I had troubles in posting replies, so I PM'd Simon with my thoughts. I am now able to post so here is the gist of my advice in case anyone else needs to know.

SQL files, I use them a lot and it is very easy in Monarch. Use File Open Database to start. You will need and ODBC or OLEDB connection to your file. Load in the SQL file and then you can filter it if you need to reduce the number of rows, you can select just the columns you need in the table so no need to bring in any dross. Once you have it in the table you can then add any calculated fields you need to make the output worthwhile.

If you have 2 SQL files that are related you can use Monarch's External Links to bring in fileds from the second SQL file to really enhance your report. You can also link to Access database or Excel files for further information.

With Monarch summaries you can creat a Pivot Table look for you export file.

The best advise I can give is to try anything you like and you will most likely find Monarch will do it.

Simon then reported he was trying to get 2 SQL tables into 1 view for Monarch to use. My reply was.

I have the same trouble with the techy types, so I have resorted to bringing the SQL tables together in MS Access using a query to make an Access table with the bits I want, then use Monarch to do the really clever bits by opening the Access table as a database in Monarch. I find this approach useful if you need to lock the data up at a point in time and the SQL files are tramping on.

Regards

Nigel