4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by lwallace _ RSS

Monarch Data Explorer - Monarch Pro

lwallace _

I have some old prf files that are viewed with Monarch Data Explorer 5.0 on a very old computer. I am moving the files to a new computer but cannot locate my Data Exlorer software. However, I do have a copy of Monarch Pro that I installed.

The problem is when I open one of the files in Monarch Pro, I don't get the tree view that I do when I open them in Data Explorer. I have gone through every option in Monarch Pro trying to get this to work.

:confused:

Thanks

• Monarch Data Explorer - Monarch Pro
          Grant Perkins

Hi lwallace and welcome to the forum.

I don't have my V5 installation disks available but as I recall the Report Explorer was on a separate CD back then but came on the same CD as Monarch for V6 and subsequent versions. (If you have your V5 CD you can check this more easily than I can.)

Version 9 is the first version to have a tree view included in Monarch. From what you wrote I'm going to guess that an upgrade to V9 is not something you are considering no matter how good it is.

Have you tried contacting Datawatch to see what help they can offer?

HTH.

Grant

lwallace _

Thanks or your reply Grant. I wish I could find the cd. I will try contacting Datawatch. It's so old (2000) I kinda doubt they will help me. Worst case scenario...keep the old box in my office and plug it in as needed until I perhaps run accross the cd at some point. I'm sure it wasn't discarded. Nothing gets thrown out here. I came across some ancient stuff while searching.

Grant Perkins

Thanks or your reply Grant. I wish I could find the cd. I will try contacting Datawatch. It's so old (2000) I kinda doubt they will help me. Worst case scenario...keep the old box in my office and plug it in as needed until I perhaps run accross the cd at some point. I'm sure it wasn't discarded. Nothing gets thrown out here. I came across some ancient stuff while searching.[/quote]

If you are still using Monarch operationally could you swing for an upgrade to V9?

Not only would that give you much more functionality to make your work easier but since V9 makes use of the tree view you would need only the one application.

Maybe even better for you given that the reports you need to view are legacy reports, you could read them in to V9 as prf files and then convert them to PDF files complete with the tree feature usable in the Acrobat Reader as bookmarks (iirc).

Of course there may be reasons for keeping them as prf files - PDF files are potentially more readily readable although can be protected with passwords.

Just a few thoughts to contemplate.

But from what you wrote I suspect that all you really need is to obtain a copy of Report Explorer that would save you the problem of trying to locate the lost disk.

Grant