12 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:01 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Error message

JCC _

I get this error message when doing a simple copy and paste into excel.

"The entire selection did not fit in WK1 format." I have looked around but have not found a fix for this error. Is there one, possibly in the registry? I am using V 7.00 Pro and Excel 2000. Btw, I am only copying about 13k lines. Thanks for your support.

• Error message
          Bill Watson

This "might" be related to your export options in monarch, although I am surprised they are referred to if you are doing a straight copy from the monarch table view to an already created excel sheet.

Make sure that for spreadsheets you have XLS (97+) selected that will allow you up to approx 64K rows

• Error message
              JCC _

Aalready checked that. I am really surprised that this is happening with such a small amount of data. Just tried a little over 10k rows and the same error popped up. 8,192 rows will copy, 8,193 kicks out the error.

• Error message
                  Joe Berry

Do you happen to have the default format in Excel set to WK1 instead of xls?  I do not have Excel 2000, but in Excel 2003, it is under Tools, Options, Transition.  The error message indicates that new files are WK1 which had a file limit of 8192 lines.

HTH,

Joe Berry

• Error message
                      JCC _

It is set to an *.xls format. The error message is generated in Monarch not Excel so as far as I know the setting in Excel would be irrelevant at this point. It was something to check for anyway. There has got to be a setting somewhere were one can correct this ridiculous threshold for the amount of lines one can simple copy and paste.

• Error message
                          Data Kruncher

JCC,

Judging by [URL="http://www.monarchforums.com/showthread.php?p=3501#post3501"]jb's final post in this related thread[/URL], you might be stuck.

That limit always drove me crazy too when I was using v5.

Kruncher

• Error message
                              Grant Perkins

JCC,

I think this info relates to V7 and later releases.

8192 rows was the max for Lotus 123 and represented a fairly large clipboard activity.

Monarch can work in WK1  -  WK3 format or Text for the clipboard.

Text can deal with more rows but you risk performance and memory issues if you go very large.

If you check the Settings Info in the Help file you will get some guidance about changing the max rows value. If you do increase it it will still give you a message re WK1 if appropriate but will allow more lines in the clipboard for text 'transfers'. You may still be warned about the WK1 issue but pasting as text will be no problem unless you also exceed the larger row limit set.

The alternative is to copy in sections of not more than 8192 rows. Or export rather than copy and paste.

HTH

Grant

• Error message
                                  JCC _

Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. Ok, here is some interesting info regarding some testing I have completed. MCR=MaxClipboardRows.

V7.00p, MCR controls copy rows up to 8192. Changed to 8193 still get, "The entire selection did not fit in WK1 format." Delete MCR key and get, "The entire selection did not fit in the clipboard.", at 8193 rows. Add MCR back in and a random number above 8192 and get, "The entire selection did not fit in WK1 format." Now the really odd interesting stuff. Have a co-worker that has V8 and she could not copy more than 8192 originally. Read the error, said to change the MCR, easy enough. Go into the regedit and MCR has done a disappearing act! NO MCR key. Talk to few peeps, and well, we'll just add it along with SplashScreen, which was nowhere to be found also. Add it first and it works, whew. Add MCR with like 20k limit, and it works also, YEEHAW! Tested it up to 65k and it works, Sa-weeet. Ok, so we are good on V8 but won't work on V7, WTH!!!! Now for another interesting tidbit of info. Another co-worker still has, get this, VERSION 4.05! Guess what, we bumped his MCR to like 16k or so and it works with no error message!!! So, what else controls this parameter and why does it work on V8 and V4.05, for goodness sakes, but not V7? Btw, also tried to export the MCR key from V8 over to mine and it didn't work.

• Error message
                                    Data Kruncher

I found an old post from Gareth, specifically discussing v7:

This version fixes these various MaxClipboardRows quirks. The new behavior depends on whether or not the value of MaxClipboardRows is greater than 8192, as described below:

If MaxClipboardRows <= 8192

Monarch will copy up to MaxClipboardRows rows of data counting the name row, if any, without issuing any messages. If you attempt to copy more than MaxClipboardRows rows, you’ll get the message “The entire selection did not fit in clipboard.”, and Monarch will actually put the first MaxClipboardRows rows on the clipboard in both text and WK1 formats.

If MaxClipboardRows > 8192

Monarch will copy up to 8192 rows of data counting the name row, if any, without issuing any messages. If you attempt to copy more than 8192 but less than or equal to MaxClipboardRows rows, you’ll get the message “The entire selection did not fit in WK1 format; however, TXT format has been successfully copied.”, and Monarch will put the entire selection on the clipboard in Text format, but only the first 8192 rows of the selection in WK1 format.

If you attempt to copy more than MaxClipboardRows rows, you’ll get the message “The entire selection did not fit in clipboard.”, in which case Monarch will actually put the first MaxClipboardRows rows on the clipboard in text format, but only the first 8192 rows in WK1 format.

We recommend leaving the default MaxClipboardRows setting at 8192. This gives users the largest possible clipboard capacity without overflowing WK1 format. For the occasional user who must copy more data, MaxClipboardRows can now be increased to any desired size.

/quote

So, if you adjust the registry entry, you'll still get the error message, but it should /Bcopy just fine, it just won't have the WK1 formatting applied to the rows after 8192, so they might not look the same.

It looks like the only other option is an upgrade.

Kruncher

Edit: you posted while I was typing. The MCR thing is very interesting. Thanks for that.

• Error message
                                        JCC _

Yea, I think I saw that post at one point in time. It really baffles me that a version from the dinosaur age will work and also a newer one. I wonder what was changed in V8 that allowed the MCR to work beyond 8192? There has got to be a common link that can be changed somewhere that should allow for copying more than the limit in a WK1 format?

• Error message
                                            Grant Perkins

JCC,

I think the V7 related description points out that prior versions had some 'quirks'. So what seems to work reliable in V4 probably does not (or did not) work reliably all the time for everyone.

V7 took steps to overcome the variability.

V8, from memory, introduced some further changes to the way the clipboard functionality worked  (and a number of other behind the scenes features) and V9 moved things on again.

So what you seem to see looking at the different versions may not be quite what is really there to see.

Grant