10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Newbie with Report Problems

Sasha _

I'm having major issues with this report.  :confused:

I've made several attempt and tried lots of different stuff...i.e. capturing the address using the address block feature.  It seems that I get a good trap on some lines and the varying address is a problem.  Is there anywhere to go to see examples of difficult reports?  Or maybe I'm making this one difficult.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

-

A12345678      SMITNEY,ABNER                     (N)                              BB          12/05/07       999.99       999.99      Guar #: 222-88-8888               (FT)                        

123 ELM STREET                   STUDENT                           12/05/07                                            FLOWER, MARY                     REAL ESTATE MUTUAL           

ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999              STUDENT                           12/05/07    12/10/07                                234 MAPEL ST                     200 HOME SALES DRIVE         

(555)444-7777 (H)                                                  12/25/04                                            ANYWHERE, ZZ 99999               ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999                                                                               

(111)222-3333                    (222)333-4444

-

A98765432      JONES, ANNE MARIE                RETIRED                           BB          11/26/07       111.10       111.10      Guar #: 222-44-1111              RETIRED                      

PO BOX 111                       RETIRED                           11/26/07    11/27/07                                        JONES, ANNE MARIE                RETIRED                      

33 LARK LANE                                                       11/26/07    12/04/07                                PO BOX 111                                                    

ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999                                                04/23/24    111-22-3333                             33 LARK LANE                                                  

(333)444-5555 (H)                                                                                ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999                                                                               

(222)333-4444

-

A12309820      DUDE, JOHN                        (FT)                             ER          12/01/07       500.00       500.00      Guar #: 111-00-2222               (FT)                        

999 SOUTH AVENUE APT 2           SURFERS R US                      12/01/07                                            DUDE, JOHN                       SURFERS R US                 

ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999              111 OCEAN DRIVE                   12/01/07    12/10/07                                999 CALIFORNIA RD                111 OCEAN DRIVE              

(000)111-7777 (H)                ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999               11/04/84    222-00-3333                             ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999              ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999          

(111)222-3333                                                                         (333)444-5555                    (000)111-2222

/CODE

• Newbie with Report Problems
          Grant Perkins

Sasha,

Welcome to the forum.

If you used the address block and the multiple line field functionality you are on the right track I think BUT you are dealing with a lot of addresses by the looks of it so are you having problems with all of them?

If so what are the problems?

Bear in mind that in any database there will be anomalies and name and address databases are especially susceptible to error. I would be surprised of most are more than 80% correct. Very surprised. Address blocks can only work effectively when the data fit with the expected rules. But even an 80% successful transcription is better than none.

So what is the particular difficulty you have?

Grant

Sasha _

Thank you Grant!

I've been suffering through this all day.  I finally decided to create 3 Modules.  One to get the first line and Patient address.  One to get the Guarantor and Guarantor Employee address.  And one to get the dates that I need in the middle.  I'll then join the data in my database on the patient number.  With each address having different lengths, this was the only way that I saw to tackle my task.

The only issue that I have left is trapping the dates.  They line up perfectly and generally have Alpha, blanks, etc. in the same position.  Any ideas?

Grant Perkins

Sasha,

Although some of the columns seem to have memorandum data OR address information and I am not sure how significant those columns are for you, the rest look reasonably consistent and I would have thought could be derived from a single detail template.

The columns of dates are similarly odd to me, probably because I don't know the report and therefore have no idea what the dates are reporting. Are they structured in a fixed way or entirely variable?

There is, as far as I know. no reason why you cannot have multiple address block extractions per record providing they all have different block definition names.

There are several way so of extracting and processing the dates but it's difficult to make a sensible suggestion without knowing a bit more about them.

I would probably trap each record on the left hand column entry and go from there.

Does this help?

Grant

Sasha _

Here's the report with the headers, it may make more sense this way.  When I began working with this, I used the first line and used HNNNNNNNN and Guar: as my trap.  I then trapped the adresses, but it seemed that criteria for the addresses in column 2 was affecting the addresses in the last two columns which is why I did them separately.  I probably just had something set wrong.  I guess I'm not sure how to use a single template to trap multiple lines in a report.  I usually have a detail and appends to get to the next line.  So I can actually highlight multiple lines to have in my template.  If so, I'm really embarrassed and have probably wasted a day working with this report.

In trying to set a separate template for each line, I was having a time of it on lines greater than 1.  Grant, you may have solved my dilemna and tought me a valuable thing about Monarch.  Thank you!!!

TYPE        BILLED

ADM/SER     LAST PAY

DISCH       C AGY XFER

PT #           PATIENT                          PATIENT EMPLOYMENT                BDATE       SSNO         TTL CHGS      BALANCE      GUARANTOR                        GUARANTOR EMPLOYMENT                                                           

-

A12345678      SMITNEY,ABNER                     (N)                              BB          12/05/07       999.99       999.99      Guar #: 222-88-8888               (FT)                        

123 ELM STREET                   STUDENT                           12/05/07                                            FLOWER, MARY                     REAL ESTATE MUTUAL           

ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999              STUDENT                           12/05/07    12/10/07                                234 MAPEL ST                     200 HOME SALES DRIVE         

(555)444-7777 (H)                                                  12/25/04                                            ANYWHERE, ZZ 99999               ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999                                                                               

(111)222-3333                    (222)333-4444

-

A98765432      JONES, ANNE MARIE                RETIRED                           BB          11/26/07       111.10       111.10      Guar #: 222-44-1111              RETIRED                      

PO BOX 111                       RETIRED                           11/26/07    11/27/07                                        JONES, ANNE MARIE                RETIRED                      

33 LARK LANE                                                       11/26/07    12/04/07                                PO BOX 111                                                    

ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999                                                04/23/24    111-22-3333                             33 LARK LANE                                                  

(333)444-5555 (H)                                                                                ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999                                                                               

(222)333-4444

-

A12309820      DUDE, JOHN                        (FT)                             ER          12/01/07       500.00       500.00      Guar #: 111-00-2222               (FT)                        

999 SOUTH AVENUE APT 2           SURFERS R US                      12/01/07                                            DUDE, JOHN                       SURFERS R US                 

ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999              111 OCEAN DRIVE                   12/01/07    12/10/07                                999 CALIFORNIA RD                111 OCEAN DRIVE              

(000)111-7777 (H)                ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999               11/04/84    222-00-3333                             ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999              ANYWHERE, ZZ  99999          

(111)222-3333                                                                         (333)444-5555                    (000)111-2222

/CODE

Grant Perkins

Sasha,

OK, here's my interpretation of the sample.

Each record will always have at least 4 lines. Some will have 5 due to additional address lines for some addresses. (Maybe more than 5? If so no problem.) Use a 4 line SAMPLE for the template.

Line 1 offers a simple trap on the first column (PT #). If you need a secondary trap point that picks only the first line try a decimal place in one of the value columns. For traps less is more so long as they work for you!

Fields for line 1 should be easy enough to paint and define.

On line 2 for the address positions paint a single field where the address starts on the Patient column and make it a multi-line field then use address block processing on it later. Use the Advance Field Properties to tell Monarch when the field should end. For the other columns it looks like they have either real separate fields or names. Your call on the remaining address columns as to whether you multi-line field at that point but treat line 1 as a name or set a name field and multi-line of the address in line 3. Both options will lead to a result.

The dates/SSNo look like they have separate fields for lines 3 and 4.

And that's about it really -- unless there are some other things hidden elsewhere in the report that may complicate things. If so we may need to look for some additional concepts to deal with them.

HTH.

Grant

Sasha _

Thanks Grant.  I'm getting very close.  Is it possible to break the name into First Name & Last Name?  I can parse this out in Access, but thought it was worth asking.

Data Kruncher

Yes, you can break out the first and last names.

Define a calculated field PatientLastName:

[SIZE=2]LSplit(PatientName,2,",",1)[/SIZE][/code]

and another for PatientFirstName:

[SIZE=2]Trim(LSplit(PatientName,2,",",2))[/SIZE][/code]

HTH,

Kruncher

Grant Perkins

Kruncher has the solution once again!

If you needed the middle name(s) a similar formula but using the space character for the split into 3 parts would work.

If you ever need to process more formal names, as in addresses for example, check out the NSPLIT function.

HTH.

Grant

Data Kruncher

I must remember to use NSplit more often. I always stick the old favorites LSplit and RSplit.

Do you think it might be too much to refer to functions as old favorites.

Rather reminds me of my Top 10 Signs posts from a couple of years ago...

Grant Perkins

I must remember to use NSplit more often. I always stick the old favorites LSplit and RSplit.

/quote

Me too since it seems rare to get the formal layout anywhere these days. Just thought it was worth mentioning for those who will follow and discover this post at some point.

"Favourites"?  Sure, why not.

Also "Old Workhorses" for the SPLIT functions in my view. Great tools.

Grant