5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by PGJ26 _ RSS

Time for Upgrade?

PGJ26 _

I have been pulling data from pdf files for a long time.  A pretty simple application for getting a lot of data each month for allocation statements.  Works great.  However, the latest version of adobe does not seem to work.  I have been using a very old version of Monarch (Monarch 4.05!

• Time for Upgrade?
          RalphB _

Welcome to the forum.

Monarch V4.05, boy does that bring back memories.  I was first exposed to Monarch at my old company but I can't remember the version.  It wasn't any newer that 4, maybe it was v3 or earlier that we used.   I do remember I worked briefly with the DOS version.

Monarch has come a long way since then.  They have added numerous features and capabilities like the ability to open and work with spreadsheets, databases, html files and also pdf files.  With the newer versions, you don't need to convert pdf files to text files or use another program to be able to work with it.

Any time you have a chance to upgrade, I highly recommend doing so.  And while you are upgrading, get the pro version.  With the pro version you can link to external databases and export out to all the different formats.  It is well worth the extra dollars.

Once you upgrade you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  It will open up a new world to you.

• Time for Upgrade?
              PGJ26 _

Is there a trial version of Monarch so I can be sure everything works for my application?  Thanks.

• Time for Upgrade?
                  RalphB _

PGJ26,

Sorry, I am not aware of any trial versions of Monarch.  You may want to contact Monarch sales dept at http://www.datawatch.com/store/store-north-america.asp[/url] for more information than what I can give.

I have very limited explerience working with Monarch and PDF files but what I have gathered from the forum, you should have little if any problems working with PDF's.  The main source of problems is when the PDF is created by a program other than Adobe.

Ralph

• Time for Upgrade?
                    Grant Perkins

Is there a trial version of Monarch so I can be sure everything works for my application?  Thanks.[/quote]

Hmm, interesting implication there.

In theory there should be no reason why your existing process would not work - Monarch has, to the best of my recollection, pretty much always provided a way forward for existing work.

On the other hand since you should be able to read PDF files directly and make use of a lot of new features and functions, in the medium term you may want to revise your application of Monarch anyway  - which would be one of the major reasons for upgrading of course.

How quickly you could move everything up to use the new features really depends on how many process there are to adapt.

So, as I see it, it's not so much a question of whether it would work but how long it would take before you saw the advantage across your application requirement.

A few thoughts for what they are worth.

HTH.

Grant