6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch Newbie

CompuMage _

Hello, I'm new to Monarch and it looks like it could be a very powerful tool however I'm having some trouble extracting data in certain areas, and also I do not understand how to extract data that is say multiple lined, into one field in my table.  (You would think Monarch could extract data in a one-to-many fashion???)

I'm able to extract most fields but when I go to extract the "Guarantor" for each record even if I change from append to footer, I  get duplicate values copied across records that do not have the Guarantor field, any ideas?

Also note the Notes: field, it varies in length and # of lines, how should I capture that?  Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Patient. . . . : LH08     1650948                 Telephone. . . : (555)555-5555                                            

FIRSTNAME LASTNAME               Work Phone . . : (000)000-0000                                            

1 CHERRY LANE                    Social Sec . . : 999999999                                                

NEW YORK, NY 11111               D.O.B. . . . . : 01/01/1901  SEX: M                                       

Guarantor. . . : LH08       11093                 Telephone. . . : (666)666-6666                                            

GFIRSTNAME GLASTNAME             Work Phone . . : (000)000-0000                                            

1 CHERRY LANE                 Social Sec . . :                                                          

NEW YORK, NY 11111                                                                               

Coverage . . . : SELF                 Statement                                  Init Bill:  7/27/07 Last: 10/05/07 Times: 3

Physician. . . : 105   SMITH           JOHN                                                                          

Referral . . . : SMITH MD            JOHN X                                                                               

Date of Service:  7/05/07  THE        HOSPITAL                                                     Charges      Pmts & Adj  

Services . . . :  11 99283 EMER DEPT VISIT E&M MODERATE SEVER                   Dx: 682.2  788.1    190.00                  

11 10060 I&D ABSCESS; SIMPL/SNGL                              Dx: 682.2           220.00                  

Notes. .   . :   7/19 PT CLD TO CK STATUS                                          

7/16 PT TEST 1002                           

7/03 pt called w/no stmt wondering if her ins was ever billed - YES

6/25 PT CLD W/INS INFO                                            

Patient Total  : Charges . . . . . . . :          410.00                                                                               

Payments & Adjustments:             .00                                                                               

Balance Due . . . . . :          410.00[/CODE]

• Monarch Newbie
          Data Kruncher

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your profile indicates that you have v9, but is it the Standard or Pro version? This may be important depending upon the content of the report, in terms of how best to handle extracting all of the data.

I suspect that this model will only need detail and append templates.

Do you want to have each of note lines in its own field, or would one field containing all of the notes suffice? I assume one field, but it's always best to ask.

The Services group may prove difficult to model should there be a large number (> 10 ?) of lines in that group for any one patient. Would you expect to see this appear in the report?

• Monarch Newbie
              CompuMage _

I am using the 9.01 Pro version.

I would like to come up with two solutions as we are still up and arms if we want Notes1,Notes2,Notes3,Notes4.. etc.  So it would be interesting to see how you handle it as one huge memo field, or mulitple fields.

The services could potentially be greater than 10 in number, its hard to predict what the final number could be.

• Monarch Newbie
                  Data Kruncher

I would make the totals your detail template, and add other sections individually as appends. I'm not certain of the maximum number of templates allowed by v7 though. That might be a problem.

When defining a field, one of the options on the Advanced tab is to End Field On the End of Left Justification. By painting only the first line of the Notes section, and setting this End option, you can get all of the Notes into one field.

Using the Textline function, you can break a single field into multiple fields based on the line number on which the text appears. The good news is that it's simple to use. The bad news is that I'm pretty sure that the Textline function wasn't introduced until v8. Reason enough to warrant an upgrade, among many others.

Alternatively, process becomes a little bit more cumbersome. You could build one model to extract the main data, another to extract the notes and tie the main data together with an external lookup based on the patient number.

HTH,

Kruncher

Edit: I know I saw v7 in your reply. Obviously the concerns mentioned above aren't an issue now.

• Monarch Newbie
                      CompuMage _

For some reason I'm having no luck with the End field on end of left justification, what am I missing?  My field type is memo as I'm sure thats what it needs to be, but its sill only storing one line of data with the records.

• Monarch Newbie
                          Grant Perkins

For some reason I'm having no luck with the End field on end of left justification, what am I missing?  My field type is memo as I'm sure thats what it needs to be, but its sill only storing one line of data with the records.[/quote]

Are you viewing this in the table? For large fields the table view is restricted by default and you may need to use the option to 'Show Field Contents' available from the 'Windows' drop down menu.

On the other hand if you already know about that and still see only one line, what happens if you try some of the other 'end field on' options?

Apart from that how are things progressing based on Data Kruncher's suggestions? (I don't want to spend your time or mine covering things that are now resolved for your model!)

Grant

• Monarch Newbie
                    Grant Perkins

I'm able to extract most fields but when I go to extract the "Guarantor" for each record even if I change from append to footer, I  get duplicate values copied across records that do not have the Guarantor field, any ideas?[/quote]

What does a record look like if there is no Guarantor data? Do other things shift around?

Grant