3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Greg_Goodman _ RSS

dbf Export Behavior in 7.0 vs 6.0 MDP

Greg_Goodman _

I'm working on converting MDP6 to MDP7 and came across a change in behavior on (at least) dbf

file exports. Several old dpfs were set to "Add

data to Existing File" - in MDP6, this behaved as

1)if the file exists, add data and

2)if the file doesn't exist, create it

In MDP7, this behavior appears to be "corrected"

to what it should have been in MDP6.

• dbf Export Behavior in 7.0 vs 6.0 MDP
          Greg_Goodman _

Kind of silly to post a reply for an addendum...

while my 1st thread is correct, MDP7 will not

generate an error if export is dbf with 'Append to' as setting if the dbf does not exist.

Seems like it'd be better for an error to be generated

Gareth Horton

Greg

When creating a new project, it works the same as in MDP6, i.e. if the file does not exist, create it, if it does, append to it.

I am wondering if this is an issue with a converted DPF.

Send me the XPRJ via e-mail.

Gareth

Originally posted by Greg_Goodman:

I'm working on converting MDP6 to MDP7 and came across a change in behavior on (at least) dbf

file exports. Several old dpfs were set to "Add

data to Existing File" - in MDP6, this behaved as

1)if the file exists, add data and

2)if the file doesn't exist, create it

In MDP7, this behavior appears to be "corrected"

to what it should have been in MDP6. /b[/quote]

Greg_Goodman _

Gareth, unfortunately, I've already 'corrected' the converted dpf xprjs...once I edited the export, things seemed to clear up - though oddly, on a couple where dbf is output, 'append to existing' doesn't appear as selectable any longer.

Also had similar oddity w/ several multi-pass xprjs that were set to append to a text file that refused to run as converted xprjs - same fix resolved though - editing xprj, editing export and saving w/o any changes in Export settings.

May well be an 'append' setting converter oddity. If I have a chance today (may be early next week until I have all converted xprjs renamed as I insist), I'll re-run a conversion, run to make sure the odd behavior is there, and send you a couple xprjs.

More troubling after sleeping on it was the fact that no errors were generated in the log xmls when the 'append to' exports failed .

On the bright side, everything else is working well - once I figured out the "/e" switch I'd been using to launch Excel in MDP6 (to prevent a blank worksheet from opening on startup) was both

unnecessary and, worse, causing hangups was removed; apparently w/ the WindowHidden/True setting, this startup switch isn't kosher. Testing is going well and I expect a much quicker initial conversion than you estimated - something like 2 days and maybe a few more parallel days testing is what it's looking like.

Thanks for all your help !