1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

Updating server downgrading hardware

tomkrier _

Because of audits and other reasons, our server team is going to create a new server for us to use MDP v8.0 on.  Right now it is working on a very beefy server (2-cpu, 4g memory, huge hard-drive space) operating on Windows Server 2000 SP4.  They are going to place datapump now on a different server(1-cpu, 2g memory, hard space adequate) with Windows 2003 Server.  I don't suspect that we should have troubles but I just wanted to check if you think we will run into any differences or issues converting over?  Thanks

• Updating server downgrading hardware
          Gareth Horton

Tom

I see no problem with the system specs per se, it depends on how much work you want it to do and how fast.

The pain is going to be moving MDP to a new box, whilst retaining all your existing stuff.

Couple of things that might be useful:

Before you start, try making all the projects, models, input databases and reports use UNC paths, so they will work straight away on the new machine.  You can use another server temporarily to store these, then move them gradually after the transition.

You can use the Monarch Utility, that comes with Monarch V8 to help you do this. 

Choose "Manage external references in XML models or projects".  You can then do a search and replace on a bulk basis.

The only changes you will have to make then are the references to the projects in the Processes.

Try and ensure that the drive letter for windows and program files folders is the same on the new machine (i.e. c:), as well as the windows folder i.e both c:winnt  c:windows.

I have a script that will backup and restore the Data Pump Database, as well as the schedules.

I'll drop you an e-mail with the script tomorrow.

Gareth

Originally posted by tomkrier:

Because of audits and other reasons, our server team is going to create a new server for us to use MDP v8.0 on.  Right now it is working on a very beefy server (2-cpu, 4g memory, huge hard-drive space) operating on Windows Server 2000 SP4.  They are going to place datapump now on a different server(1-cpu, 2g memory, hard space adequate) with Windows 2003 Server.  I don't suspect that we should have troubles but I just wanted to check if you think we will run into any differences or issues converting over?  Thanks /b[/quote]