6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by tomkrier _ RSS

Having a user run a process without full server access

tomkrier _

What I have is a user that will want to run a datapump process whenever they need it.  I was wondering if it is possible to do, without giving them full server access?  All I would want to give them is access to run a process and that is it(I was thinking a webpage with a button or something).  I know Datapump uses a web service that is based on .net and xml stuff so I was interested in some ideas how to accomplish this.

• Having a user run a process without full server access
          Gareth Horton

Tom

You will need to use the web service to accomplish this.

The vb.net and c sharp samples that get installed when you install the web service will provide some pointers on creating such a page.

I know one customer wrote a similar application, where a user clicked on a button in a web page to invoke a process.

Gareth

Originally posted by tomkrier:

What I have is a user that will want to run a datapump process whenever they need it.  I was wondering if it is possible to do, without giving them full server access?  All I would want to give them is access to run a process and that is it(I was thinking a webpage with a button or something).  I know Datapump uses a web service that is based on .net and xml stuff so I was interested in some ideas how to accomplish this. /b[/quote]

tomkrier _

Is it possible to get his email or something.  I am pretty good with asp.net, but I just can't figure it out and I think an example would help me greatly.  I did look at the example that you guys have posted and I think that just confused me even more.  I guess the two things I need is the command to connect to the server and the command to execute a process.  Thats all I would think I would need.

Gareth Horton

Tom

I can't give out the e-mail and I am not sure if the person is still working on their MDP project anyway.

Here are a few steps to get you started, then you can refer to the sample code, which may make more sense after this.

I go the vb.net route, but you can use c# if you like and just amend the steps and the code.

Start VS.NET

New Project|VB Projects|ASP.NET Application

Fill In Location, i.e. [url="http://localhost/mdp_submit_vb"]http://localhost/mdp_submit_vb[/url]

Add a web reference to [url="http://localhost/monarchdatapump/dwchserver.webservice.asmx"]http://localhost/monarchdatapump/dwchserver.webservice.asmx[/url]

It should find this - referred to as "dwchserver.webservice"

OK it and give it a name, i.e. MDP_Web_Service

Now in the designer add a new button, make it pretty wide.

Add the code so it ends up looking like this:

[font="courier"]Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim mdp As New MDP_Web_Service.DwchServerWebService

Dim TrackID as String

mdp.StartProcess("test")

Button1.Text = TrackID

End Sub  /font[/quote]Hope this helps.

Gareth

Originally posted by tomkrier:

Is it possible to get his email or something.  I am pretty good with asp.net, but I just can't figure it out and I think an example would help me greatly.  I did look at the example that you guys have posted and I think that just confused me even more.  I guess the two things I need is the command to connect to the server and the command to execute a process.  Thats all I would think I would need. /b[/quote]

tomkrier _

I tried that and I couldn't get it to work.  I was able to run a process through "http://chq2kdb785/MonarchDataPump/DwchServer.WebService.asmx"(then going to StartProcess).  Is there something else I need to get this running? credentials? stuff like that...

tomkrier _

After playing around with it somemore. I can either get it to give me a tracking ID, but the process won't start.  I tried with the web service and with the pumpapi (just like the example but instead of vb app. its a vb.net app.)  I just can't figure it out why it just won't start the process.

tomkrier _

I finally got it.  I had to set MonarchDataPump vitural directory anonymous user to a member of the ads domain that can run processes.  that sucked, but I finally got it. Thanks for the help Gareth