10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by tomkrier _ RSS

Remote Admin setup

Neal makely

I installed the Remote Admin software, installed the 7.01 update, and tested.  Most links I click on in the Remote Admin from the client starts a series of debug errors: "A Runtime Error has occurred.  Do you wish to Debug?  Line: 115.  Error: An error occurred."  I then get 1 or 2 more errors just like it, followed by a larger IE Script Error box: "An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line: 116.  Char: 4.  Error: An error occurred.  Code: 0.  URL: --mmc:{C4250AF2-652A-4704-AC3A-A9ECFA71CBBD}."

I can start the Add Process portion without errors, but get errors browsing to that portion.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated the MDP webservices component, but this made no difference.  I don't see a registry key matching the above error on the MDP server.  The client and server are running the same version of IE (6 sp1) and MDP Remote Admin (7.01).

Is this something simple (stupid) I've misconfigured?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Neal

• Remote Admin setup
          Tom Strachan

Hi, We recently purchased the MDP, and we have experienced the same issue.  We have contacted support and we are waiting for an answer.

Did you get this resolved?  What did you have to do?

I'm getting frustrated waiting for a fix!

Thanks

• Remote Admin setup
            mcpaytas _

Does anyone have a resolution for this?

I have datapump running on a 2003 server. I installed the remote admin on a workstation. It opens the mdp admin but when I click on the server settings folder I get a generic script error. Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? Thanks!

• Remote Admin setup
              Neal makely

Sorry, but it's been a while and I don't recall what the fix was.  I'll see if I can dig it up in my notes, but I believe it was a Windows Registry setting change.  Gareth was the one who walked me through the fix.

• Remote Admin setup
                Tom Strachan

Support is gong to call back; they aren't sure what's wrong with Remote Admin.

• Remote Admin setup
                  tomkrier _

So is there any updates on Remote Admin working for MDP, because using RDP is hard since you can only have 2 users on at once.  Also will MDP have an updated remote admin.?  and if it does will it work propery?

• Remote Admin setup
                    Gareth Horton

Tom et al,

Sorry for the delay from support, I was away at the User Conference and haven't been able to pitch in.

The most common mistake I have seen is that the RemoteAdmin has been installed on the server machine, which causes many problems.

You can check this by looking for a registry key on the server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREDatawatchDWCH ServerRemoteInstall

If this exists and its value is 1, then you need to look for all references to Monarch Data Pump / Monarch Data Pump Administrator / Remote Administrator and remove them. 

Don't worry about your existing processes/schedules etc, they are all retained when you uninstall.

Then you need to reinstall Data Pump on the server.  Once that is complete, reinstall the web service on the web server.

For good measure, it would be best to reinstall the RemoteAdmin on the client machine too.

Then go to the client machine and open up IE and go to:

[url="http://<SERVERNAME>/MonarchDataPumpAdmin/DWCHServer.WebAdminService.asmx"]http://<SERVERNAME>/MonarchDataPumpAdmin/DWCHServer.WebAdminService.asmx[/url]

This is the address of the administrative web service for Data Pump and uses Windows authentication, so if you get a prompt to enter a username and password, you don't have the necessary credentials for that machine.  Note that admin rights are required.

When the page opens, you should see the title "DwchServerWebAdminService".  Now you know the client machine and the Monarch Data Pump Admin Web Service can at least communicate.

Note that you can only use these functions from the server itself.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, let me know if the error message is the same, or you get a different error.

Gareth

Originally posted by Tom Strachan:

Hi, We recently purchased the MDP, and we have experienced the same issue.  We have contacted support and we are waiting for an answer.

Did you get this resolved?  What did you have to do?

I'm getting frustrated waiting for a fix!

Thanks /b[/quote]

• Remote Admin setup
                      tomkrier _

Okay I think I pin pointed the reason why I can't get Remote Admin to completely work.  I tried the stuff that you said here.

"When using the remote admin, you must ensure that when you create processes, you refer to the projects via a UNC path that is available to the server and the remote client, e.g. DPSERVERProjects."

and it still gave me the error message "Unable to load project file, Unknown error."  So I looked into the project editor I have locally on my machine. ('C:Program FilesMonarch Data PumpRemoteAdminXprjEditor.exe') I realized I can't open any projects with it.(local or network projects, so yes I do have rights to them).  I had Monarch Pro v8.0 and remote admin. v7.1 so I figured I downgrade monarch pro. to v7.1 but that didn't help either.  Any ideas on this Gareth?

• Remote Admin setup
                        Gareth Horton

Tom,

Try going into Windows Explorer and selecting a folder.  Then right-click and choose New|XML Project File.

This will create a project called New XML Project File.xprj

Right Click and choose Open with XPRJEditor and this should open in XPRJEditor as an entirely blank project.

Let me know what happens.

Gareth

Originally posted by tomkrier:

Okay I think I pin pointed the reason why I can't get Remote Admin to completely work.  I tried the stuff that you said here.

"When using the remote admin, you must ensure that when you create processes, you refer to the projects via a UNC path that is available to the server and the remote client, e.g. DPSERVERProjects."

and it still gave me the error message "Unable to load project file, Unknown error."  So I looked into the project editor I have locally on my machine. ('C:Program FilesMonarch Data PumpRemoteAdminXprjEditor.exe') I realized I can't open any projects with it.(local or network projects, so yes I do have rights to them).  I had Monarch Pro v8.0 and remote admin. v7.1 so I figured I downgrade monarch pro. to v7.1 but that didn't help either.  Any ideas on this Gareth? /b[/quote]

• Remote Admin setup
                          tomkrier _

Okay I was able to create a new blank project and open it fine with the xprj editor.  As soon as I added a model then save the project and then reopen it, it gives me the error message again. Don't get it...  here is a copy of the xml from the new.xprj file that can give me an error message.

&lt;project version="XMLPRJ02"&gt;

&lt;author /&gt;

&lt;description /&gt;

&lt;model&gt;

&lt;location&gt;C:Program FilesMonarchModelsDaily to Import.xmod&lt;/location&gt;

&lt;/model&gt;

&lt;workflow&gt;

&lt;prerequisites /&gt;

&lt;/workflow&gt;

&lt;inputs process="as_a_group" must_exist="all" order="xprj"&gt;

&lt;main /&gt;

&lt;/inputs&gt;

&lt;/project&gt;

Originally posted by Gareth Horton:

Tom,

Try going into Windows Explorer and selecting a folder.  Then right-click and choose New|XML Project File.

This will create a project called New XML Project File.xprj

Right Click and choose Open with XPRJEditor and this should open in XPRJEditor as an entirely blank project.

Let me know what happens.

Gareth

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by tomkrier:

and it still gave me the error message "Unable to load project file, Unknown error."  So I looked into the project editor I have locally on my machine. ('C:Program FilesMonarch Data PumpRemoteAdminXprjEditor.exe') I realized I can't open any projects with it.(local or network projects, so yes I do have rights to them).  I had Monarch Pro v8.0 and remote admin. v7.1 so I figured I downgrade monarch pro. to v7.1 but that didn't help either.  Any ideas on this Gareth? /b[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

• Remote Admin setup
                            tomkrier _

Okay another peice of info.  I thought maybe it had something to do with datapump so I installed datapump on my local machine and I was able to open the .xprj just fine in XPRJ Editor.  So basically the datapump editor works fine but the remote admin  editor doesn't.  Why is that?