3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Neal makely RSS

Administration

mcpaytas _

Are there any documents on administering data pump? or tutorials?

Like how to access the remote admin stuff?

How can I give a user access to data pump so they can do admin stuff?

I have never used this software and don't have a clue if you couldn't tell  smile.gif[/img]  so any guidance would be much appreciated.

• Administration
          Neal makely

Ditto.  I've looked on the Datawatch site, found the tutorial, printed out all the Help files, install docs, etc.  I don't see much about the Remote Admin portion or the Web Service portion. 

Is it just me or is the Web Service a base install, serious assembly required?  I'm not a web person (other than basic HTML) and I'm still learning to be db person, so it could be I'm just missing the point.

I've been to Lowell and gone through the Data Pump class, and I still don't know how I'm supposed to allow a user (or users) to administer data pump without either physical access to the server (a definite NO) or Terminal Services.  This isn't addressed in the docs as far as I can tell.

Help?

Neal

• Administration
            Gareth Horton

Hi

Here is a quick guide to the resources on remote admin.

First step is to make sure you have Data Pump 7.01, the update for each component is available from the downloads page.

If you have Terminal Services, then it will be fine to log on (Remote Admin Mode) and administer Data Pump as you would normally, as if you were on the server itself, with the necessary access rights.

In most cases, this will have faster performance than using the Data Pump remote admin.

Of course, the limit with terminal services is 2 concurrent connections, so it is not always feasible.

If you want to use the Data Pump remote admin feature:

Install instructions are in the "Installation Guide" (PDF & HTML)

As a quick guide -

1. Install web service on Data Pump machine

-

Everything is auto-configured, so you only have to make changes if you have a complex security model or you have customized IIS.

2. Install Remote Admin on client machine

-

Make sure that the user on the client has administrative rights on the Data Pump Server.

Go through the setup and make sure you have the SQL Server user/pass details, if the Data Pump install did not install it's own MSDE.

3. Start using Remote Admin

-

The UI for remote admin is pretty much identical to the UI that you would use if you were on the server, so the documentation for administration is the same.

When using remote admin, make sure you use UNC paths wherever possible, especially in paths to XPRJ files.

Data Pump Web Service

-

Any use of this other than a back-end for remote administration is really geared to programmers and is documented in the Webservice help file.

Gareth

Originally posted by mcpaytas:

Are there any documents on administering data pump? or tutorials?

Like how to access the remote admin stuff?

How can I give a user access to data pump so they can do admin stuff?

I have never used this software and don't have a clue if you couldn't tell   smile.gif[/img]   so any guidance would be much appreciated. /b[/quote]

• Administration
              Neal makely

This brings up something I've been trying to work out with Datawatch for several weeks.  I contacted support to find out if I could get the snap-ins for MMC installed on client PCs.  That way the Data Pump Server users could use a customized MMC to administer Data Pump.  I was then told that DP was licensed for only one user.  Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't see that in the documentation.  While I await clarification from Datawatch (going on four weeks now), perhaps someone can offer clarification on the licensing of Data Pump Server?  I have one installed instance (all I want/need), but I'd like more than one user to be able to add/delete/modify jobs on the DP Server as needed.

Thanks.

Neal