3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Grant _ RSS

prep with DataPump

akaras _

Is it possible to setup a project that uses a text delimited file as it's input source.  Normally I would first use the prep utility within Monarch to convert the file to a fixed length columnar report. Can this be done with Datapump?

Thanks,

I appreciate any help.

• prep with DataPump
          Gareth Horton

Akaras,

You can also read in a delimited file directly in Monarch Pro, just use the Open Database function.

Gareth

Originally posted by akaras:

Is it possible to setup a project that uses a text delimited file as it's input source.  Normally I would first use the prep utility within Monarch to convert the file to a fixed length columnar report. Can this be done with Datapump?

Thanks,

I appreciate any help. /b[/quote]

• prep with DataPump
            akaras _

Thanks for the help.

I tried both suggestions.

First I set the process up to run prep from the command line.  The syntax was something like this...

cd C:Program FilesMonarchPrograms

prep inputfile.txt outputfile.txt AD "124" N

This worked OK, but I was still having a problem.  The report is run daily, and if the size of the fields changed in the new file my model would not capture the data correctly.

So, I went with Gareth's suggestion and had Monarch Open the file as a database... this seems to be working well so far... and allows for less error when the process is run.

Thanks again.

• prep with DataPump
              Grant _

I have tried this but how do you get the process to run if you can't monitor the directory?  Input distributions are necessary for monitoring and when reading a db the input distribution is not available?  I could schedule it to run but the danger exisits of duplicat records if the input file hasn't changed.