1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

Input Monitoring Error

Dave Brinston

Hello,

I've recently been having problems with Data Pump's Input Monitoring process.  Here's what i need data pump to do - it's quite simple:

1) monitor a directory which is a share on a different server

2) when a file with a name along the lines of I59C0101.001 is dropped in the directory I need Data Pump to run an application that i wrote called ChequeImageImporter.exe - I have the script in place to call my application and it does that ok.

The error message i'm getting when i drop a file in the directory is the following:

Process Cheque Image Importer disabled in the Monitor because the same input file, I59C0101.001 in fts-apps....RBC Downloads, was found when previously run. 

I've had errors like this before and was able to fix it - but not this time.  Here's what i know and what i'm 100% sure of:

1) The Datapump service is run by a domain user account called FORTISdatapump.  I've given that user account FULL control/Admin rights over any of the shares/directories being used in this process.

2) With task manager opened i can see the datapump process start when a file is dropped in the shared directory  and i can see that my application: ChequeImageImporter.exe is successfully called by datapump - but it never exits and it should.

3) If i turn off Input Monitoring and just manually run my application by double clicking the .exe - it runs perfectly doing everything I need it to do - including the processing of the I59C0101.001 file(s), it inserts the necessary info into my database, move's the I59C0101.001 file from shared/monitored directory and places it in a different folder.  I've also tried to let Data pump be responsible for moving the monitored file and turn that option off in my application, etc...but i still get the same error.

4) When I remove the "script" section from the process and try it with the bare bones - the process runs and doesn't return any errors in the Data Pump Job log - but it only makes a copy of the monitored file as opposed to actually moving it...and i've specified in data pump for it to move not copy.  The error do show up in Event Viewer on the server though - but not in data pump....data pump says the job ran with no errors. 

Strange hey?  I'm ready to pull my hair out now.  I've setup 5 or 6 other monitored processes for other applications, etc... and have it working fine.  I can't figure out why this one won't work.  Any help would be muchly appreciated.

thank you,

Dave

• Input Monitoring Error
          Gareth Horton

Dave

All this seems to point to one issue, MDP cannot move the file from it's location.

This would cause the problem you are seeing with MDP complaining about the file being there when previously run.

Could you try using a delete input distribution and see if it is able to delete the file?

It may not necessarily be a permissions issue on the file, but the fact that another application has the file open, so that will create a lock meaning the file cannot be deleted.  That would affect both a move and a delete distribution, but not a copy distribution.

That would almost certainly be the case if you were asking MDP to invoke another app which work son the file that it (MDP) thinks it needs to process / export something from.

That may also affect the ability of your app to process the file when invoked from the MDP Script, if MDP locks it when the monitor finds it.

In reading your description, are you actually doing any processing at all with that input file in MDP, i.e. are there any exports etc?

Gareth

Originally posted by Dave Brinston:

Hello,

I've recently been having problems with Data Pump's Input Monitoring process.  Here's what i need data pump to do - it's quite simple:

1) monitor a directory which is a share on a different server

2) when a file with a name along the lines of I59C0101.001 is dropped in the directory I need Data Pump to run an application that i wrote called ChequeImageImporter.exe - I have the script in place to call my application and it does that ok.

The error message i'm getting when i drop a file in the directory is the following:

Process Cheque Image Importer disabled in the Monitor because the same input file, I59C0101.001 in fts-apps....RBC Downloads, was found when previously run. 

I've had errors like this before and was able to fix it - but not this time.  Here's what i know and what i'm 100% sure of:

1) The Datapump service is run by a domain user account called FORTISdatapump.  I've given that user account FULL control/Admin rights over any of the shares/directories being used in this process.

2) With task manager opened i can see the datapump process start when a file is dropped in the shared directory  and i can see that my application: ChequeImageImporter.exe is successfully called by datapump - but it never exits and it should.

3) If i turn off Input Monitoring and just manually run my application by double clicking the .exe - it runs perfectly doing everything I need it to do - including the processing of the I59C0101.001 file(s), it inserts the necessary info into my database, move's the I59C0101.001 file from shared/monitored directory and places it in a different folder.  I've also tried to let Data pump be responsible for moving the monitored file and turn that option off in my application, etc...but i still get the same error.

4) When I remove the "script" section from the process and try it with the bare bones - the process runs and doesn't return any errors in the Data Pump Job log - but it only makes a copy of the monitored file as opposed to actually moving it...and i've specified in data pump for it to move not copy.  The error do show up in Event Viewer on the server though - but not in data pump....data pump says the job ran with no errors. 

Strange hey?  I'm ready to pull my hair out now.  I've setup 5 or 6 other monitored processes for other applications, etc... and have it working fine.  I can't figure out why this one won't work.  Any help would be muchly appreciated.

thank you,

Dave /b[/quote]