7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 10:00 AM by Jay _ RSS

DataPump v6 Suspend Problem

Jay _

Does anyone have any idea why the Process Scheduler will automatically "Suspend" a process for no reason?  My Execution Frequency is set for Once Every 2 Minutes because I need it to search for a file at any time during the day and sometimes when I put the file out there for the DataPump to convert, it doesn't work, usually because the Process has been "Suspended."  All I have to do is unsuspend it and the process works, but it becomes a problem when others not on site are trying to convert the file.  For some reason it occassionally suspends on its own and I'm not sure why.  Can anyone help to solve this problem?  Thanks!

• DataPump v6 Suspend Problem
          Darren _

Jay,

First off, what version on MDP do you have? Ver. 6 or 7? I know that in Version 6 I had many different problems with my processes, whether they were being suspended or deleted all together! Let me know and will go into further detail in trying to help you if its Version 6 we are dealing with here...

Darren _

Further to this topic I would like to talk about the problems I was experiencing with MDP6. It seemed as if sometimes my Process Scheduler would "Suspend" processes for no apparent reason. Sometimes my .dpf's would disappear all together. I always wondered if it had to do with the setting in the Preferences of "Concurrent Process Threshold" was always set at 1 (and could never be changed).

I also had processes that ran throughout the day, triggered by different users that could potentially be run almost at the very same time. I also ran into a case where the file output (a very short one to Excel that was about 10 lines long, repeated itself over and over and over again, making the files 1000 lines long of the same repeating 10 lines). The only real "common thread" I found with these weird occurences was that the log files indicated that multiple users were sending different or the same request files to be processed through Monarch and MDP almost at the same time.

I know I have spoke with Gareth Horton on this issue before. Any other input Gareth?

Jay _

I am running version 6 and I have had the problem with the processes deleting all together too although not that often.  My biggest problem is the suspending issue.  I only have 1 person sending the file to be converted by the datapump so its not an issue with multiple users sending files at the same time.  I'm starting to get a little heat from upper management because of the suspending problem so any input I can get is helpful.

Darren _

Jay,

I think I know of some other issues regarding the suspend process. It has to do with the Process Definition settings  - specifically the Execution Frequency and Execution Triggers. What are your settings "set at" in all of these fields?

I have had my processes just "crap out" in MDP6 when the process dumped the data over and over and over to the output file, creating a huge file which would then either: a) delete the process all together, or b). suspend the process...

Let me know what your settings in the Execution Frequency and Triggers are...

Jay _

The Execution Frequency is set at Once Every 2 Minutes since the file can be sent to be converted at any time during the day and I don't have a trigger set up.

Darren _

Jay,

Here’s what I recommend to try to fix this problem…

Suspend your current process (if it is not already!)

Create a new process file (.dpf) for your same process you are having problems with. Set your Execution Frequency to 2 minutes. Then set your Execution triggers to either a Specific File or File Directory and then set the Mask to the exact name of the file being processed by MDP.

I found that I can replicate your suspend error you are getting most of the time (or even having the whole process delete itself) when multiple users are sending a file to be processed without having the file mask set or set correctly to point to a specific file name and extension. The problem is that I cannot replicate it simply by having the same user launch the file within that 2 minute period of processing. But I do not know your network environment, so it is worth a shot to create a new process that has the correct triggers and file mask applied to it. Let me know how you make out!

Darren.

Jay _

Thanks Darren!

I added the trigger so we'll see what happens.  Hopefully this will eliminate the suspending problem.