2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Function Reference Guide for V6 Pro

tcorley _

I am looking for a list of Monarch Functions with examples.

I do have a learning guide, but it does not list the functions together in an appendix like format.

Is there a PDF (or something) to download?

• Function Reference Guide for V6 Pro
          Grant Perkins

tc,

I usually rely on the help files which offer more than the learning guide.

Having said that it would be very interesting to have a document that extends the number of examples of uses of each function and maybe adds to that by providing a reference of typical combinations of functions and what purposes they can serve.

Anyone interested in starting a collection along those lines with a view to making an advanced reference document?

Grant

Originally posted by tcorley:

I am looking for a list of Monarch Functions with examples.

I do have a learning guide, but it does not list the functions together in an appendix like format.

Is there a PDF (or something) to download? /b[/quote]

• Function Reference Guide for V6 Pro
            Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Todd Niemi:

When time allows, I would like to update it with more complicated examples, such as using functions in combination, etc. /b[/quote]Todd,

I'll look up my earlier attempts to start a list ...!

What I had in mind for a personal list (as an aid to remembering a previous but rarely needed way of doing something) was to cross reference the ideas based on functions and where used on the one hand and needs and solutions giving a function list on the other.

Start with - "I need to do this (Keyword or words)" and come up with a list of possibilities.

A bit like searching through the knowledge base but with some additional keyword indexing factored in.

Having worked with and for developers of systems that were intended to address exactly those needs I know how difficult it is to get good results. Seems easy but it often isn't. In fact the most obvious 'keywords' usually cause a problem - they are so ubiquitous they just create noise and pull out evey record.

I suspect the knowledge base and user forum offer a good range of examples as a starting point and mainly need to be 'managed' into a useful container. More can be added as things progress.

All you need is a prefect text analysis and indexing tool. Easy really!  

Some other groupings that come to mind;

/size[list][*]Date field manipulation

Difference calculations, Understanding the system settings vs the report settings.

Time field manipulation

e.g. Military Time, Extracting Hours and minutes

Text field manipulation

Inserting, removing, changing, splitting

Detail record areas with variable number of rows

Using preceeding strings, splitting the area up to make it more consistent.

Filtering - split into the different types of filter and where they can be applied. Then how the filters work and limitations to look out for[/size][/list]

And so on.

It's all about making connections where no obvious connection exists. The question is - how best to do that for this requirement?

I'll se what I can add to that part ASAP.