2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Variable row fields

coranto _

I have a report that has fixed width columns, but there are description fields which range anywhere from 1 to 25 rows in length.

I defined the easy fields in the detail template and am trying to get these description fields out in append templates. 

I've gotten a few out, but it keeps missing fields due to the row length issue.  I tried using the 'None of the Above' end field on option, but still doesn't want to work. 

Can I define a field to be a certain width and just have it grab all rows until it hits the next record (which is successfully defined in the detail template)?

• Variable row fields
          Data Kruncher

Hi coranto, and welcome!

Without seeing a sample of your report, I would recommend using the "End of Left Justification" setting in the "End Field On" option group.

If you're still not getting what you need, and you're able to post a sample of the report (you can always "xxx" out confidential data), please click the CODE button just below message entry box, and place the sample between the CODE tags. This really helps.

Kruncher

• Variable row fields
            Grant Perkins

Originally posted by coranto:

I've gotten a few out, but it keeps missing fields due to the row length issue.  I tried using the 'None of the Above' end field on option, but still doesn't want to work. 

Can I define a field to be a certain width and just have it grab all rows until it hits the next record (which is successfully defined in the detail template)? /b[/quote]Kruncher has really answered this one as well as possible given what I can visualise from your description of the problem. The 'None of the above' option should do what you want it to do, I would think, unless there is some other reason that intervenes.

A couple of simple things that are easy to overlook just in case this falls into that category.

Does your field definition have enough characters width defined for both data and display to accomodate the longest descriptions?

Do the fields overlap page breaks (defined by template OR set as defaults in the Monarch parameters)? If so are there any possible aspects of the 'gaps' that might cause the process to think it has found the occurrence of another template when it has not? (A long shot but not to be overlooked if no other explanation seems to apply.)

When you define the template it should be possible to see what will be included in the selection on the screen. If that looks OK for the records that you are not getting correct results for then I would suspect the first check above may be most likely.

But if the selection looks like it will not work then perhaps some other constraint is getting in the way. It is just possible that running the verify routine might expose something though I don't think it is generally used for checking variable fields.

If none of the suggestions so far work for you then I think we would need to see a sample of the layout  - a problem record preferably - to be able to come up with a more helpful suggestion.

HTH.

Grant