10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by frugalman _ RSS

Searching for models

frugalman _

I'm having trouble using Windows XP Professional Search Companion to find some older models.  I search my models directory for a key word like profitability and although I know this word is in the "xml" somewhere in the model I am looking for, I get no results.

Help!  Thanks!

• Searching for models
          Ontiveros _

When searching under All Files and Folders in the "A word or phrase in the file:" section, type "*.mod".  This will give you all old models before the extension went to the ".xmod" extension.

• Searching for models
            frugalman _

that's not the issue.  i'm searching the right files (i tried *.xmod and it made no difference).

search companion is not finding words i'm looking for in my xmod files.  out of frustration, i downloaded a file search freeware program (free for 50 days) called Search Maestro.  this program has no problem finding what i am looking for in my xmod files.

can anybody help, i'd rather use windows search companion..

• Searching for models
              Data Kruncher

Frugalman,

I can confirm your difficulties with Windows Search. To see what my results would be, I tried searching my model files for a specific string when you posted this topic originally, and got the same results you did - nothing!   :confused:  I searched for my name in *.mod files (which is always there as the author), and Search found nothing. Curious, as these are just simple text files (somebody correct if I'm wrong).

I didn't post anything at the time because I didn't have a solution for you.

Although I haven't downloaded and tried it myself as yet, I would be surprised to hear that Google Desktop doesn't provide a free    solution to this problem. Has anybody tried Google Desktop to search content in model files?

Kruncher

• Searching for models
                Gareth Horton

Hi all,

This is a known Microsoft issue.

You can solve this by going through the registry fixes in  [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173"]this[/url]  KnowledgeBase article.

Remember to do this for .xmod and .xprj if you use projects.

And yes, as the article says, you have to reboot for it to take effect.

Alternatively, you can do it with the Indexing Service, but it is much more of a scattergun approach, which can really slow down your indexing, as well as increase the disk space used for indices.

Gareth

Originally posted by frugalman:

I'm having trouble using Windows XP Professional Search Companion to find some older models.  I search my models directory for a key word like profitability and although I know this word is in the "xml" somewhere in the model I am looking for, I get no results.

Help!  Thanks! [/b][/quote]

• Searching for models
                  frugalman _

Thanks, Kruncher and Gareth.  At least I now know I am not "doing it wrong".  I don't think I dare mess around with the registry on my work PC.  So I may continue to use Search Maestro, and may even download Google Desktop search and try that out.

• Searching for models
                    frugalman _

OK, I downloaded Google desktop search, and it successfully finds my "model" "xmod" files when I type in keywords to search on.  It looks like a wonderful product, it searches all of my Outlook email folders too...

• Searching for models
                      Data Kruncher

Good news frugalman! Thanks for update.

I'll have to give it a spin now. I'm curious; are Outlook searches faster than the search within Outlook?

• Searching for models
                        frugalman _

Google desktop search is MUCH faster than Outlook search (or any other Windows type search).

Google indexes every file and email and document on your PC, search results are pretty much instantaneous

• Searching for models
                          Data Kruncher

Good news and bad news on the topic of Google Desktop, I'm afraid.

Though I was quite keen to try it out after your comment of speedy searches of Outlook, I thought I'd do a quick search for pro's and con's of the software and found this  [url="http://blogs.msdn.com/francip/archive/2004/10/19/244656.aspx"]warning about concerning issues[/url]. Yes, I realize it's an MSDN post, but he does make some good points. I think I'll steer clear for now, especially being in a corporate environment and all.

On the good news, potentially, the users who commented there seem pleased with another free product named   [url="http://www.copernic.com"]Copernic[/url].

Of course, it likely has its own down-side... haven't check yet, thought I'd pass this along to the group first.

Kruncher

• Searching for models
                            frugalman _

Kruncher, I read the "warnings" about Google desktop search.  I've been running it for several weeks now at work, and I won't give it up.  It's way too valuable.  It "remembers" every email I have written or received, just enter a couple of key words or names, and poof, up they come.  Most of the "warnings" are just nuisance items, such as your "personal" emails or im might come up in a search - so what.  This is a VERY valuable product.