2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

From many reports into one report?

isomaniac _

I am a newbie.

I have 6 different reports. The data I want are from all these 6 reports. Assume I need one record from each report. So from Report-A I will find Data-A and from Report-B I will find Data-B etc.

Can I ask Monarch to extra all these 6 data from 6 reports and then combine into one new report?

Thanks.

• From many reports into one report?
          Greg Goodman

It's easy enough to do what you need as long as there is a common field to a collapse a final summary to...and if you have to do this manually, it want be much fun - definitely calls for AutoScript or Datapump. I'm sure there are other

ways to approach this but...

On approach would be to build 6 models that each have 7 (or however many) fields, 1 for the "key" item and 6 identical fields for the 6 different 'elements' you need. On the 1st Model, trap the "key" and the data element and add 5 calculated fields that are empty ["" for string or 0 for numeric]. Order the fields "Key" and 1 thru 6 in table view and output to a new text file. Repeat for 2nd Model except the 'data element from the 2nd report will be in column 3 (the 2nd data element column) and column 2 (data element 1) and column 4>7 will be the empty calculated fields- append this to 1st output etc, etc.

You must make absolutely cetain outputting to fixed length that the display width on each of the 7 fields is identical by position in each model (or you can learn this the hard way).

Once all 7 reports are output into one, create a final model for the combined data trapping (hopefully) on the "key" element in column one (in this example)

Hope this helps

• From many reports into one report?
            Grant Perkins

Hi,

A couple of questions.

Which version of Monarch do you have access to?

You mention 'different' reports - are they siply different files of the same report structure or are they reports with different structures?

If they have the same structure they can use the same model (normally). You may even be able to concatenate the reports into one file and process them as a single report. If they are different layouts they will clearly need to be process separately.

I get the impression that you want to do something along the lines Greg outlined. If you have V7 Pro you could simply export the results of the extracts for each report into a separate file of 2 (or more?) fields - common key field and data field(s) - ( not much point if just a single field however!) and then, having processed each of the six files individually, combine them as linked databases. If you have earlier Pro versions the process would need to be  little different. If not Pro then Greg's idea looks likely to be the basis of your process.

Once set up and with the model and project saved, subsequent use of the process should be fairly simple to automate using a script.

If you are able to post some samples of what it all looks like we could probably add some more specific and relevant suggestions as we go. But do let us know

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by isomaniac:

I am a newbie.

I have 6 different reports. The data I want are from all these 6 reports. Assume I need one record from each report. So from Report-A I will find Data-A and from Report-B I will find Data-B etc.

Can I ask Monarch to extra all these 6 data from 6 reports and then combine into one new report?

Thanks. /b[/quote]