4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

HTML Files

Colin Mc Kernon

How can you use the parsing features and markup labels on an HTML files to set a good trap. On an old "text" file a trap could have many trap characters "horizontally". However this feature is more difficult using HTML files where the report looks "vertical". Any tips?

• HTML Files
          Grant Perkins

Colin,

Which Monarch version are you using?

Grant

Originally posted by Colin Mc Kernon:

How can you use the parsing features and markup labels on an HTML files to set a good trap. On an old "text" file a trap could have many trap characters "horizontally". However this feature is more difficult using HTML files where the report looks "vertical". Any tips? /b[/quote]

• HTML Files
            Mike Urbonas

Colin, it does not sound like you are using either Monarch Pro V6 or V7.  These versions read HTML files and transform them into a "Monarch friendly" format, ignoring tags, graphics, tabs, etc.

Mike

• HTML Files
              Colin Mc Kernon

Hi Guys, I am using Monarch Pro Version 7. I can see the HTML report and the tags / mark ups etc but it's the interpretion of these and using them in a trap that I find difficult.

• HTML Files
                Grant Perkins

Colin,

I think I would find it useful if you could provide an example (or two) of the problems you are having. (I am assuming that you have checked out the Help sections and read the bits about the Floating Trap?)

As far as I see it the HTML interpretation simply cuts out all the formatting stuff and leaves the text and URL type information that is actually "useful". Sometimes this may shift around on a line so the Floating Trap can be used to compensate - for instance if you wanted to pick up everything to the right of the text string "http", wherever that might occur on the line.

However, there may well be limits that adversely affect your options for the files you are trying to deconstruct! Indeed you may even have a need to produce something based on the tags and markups that Monarch is specifically excluding (represented by the greyed out lines). In that case, simply change the file extension and try reading it as an 'ordinary' file.

But I am guessing. Point us at an example of the problem and tell us what the difficulty is so that we can mull over it and try to come up with a solution for you.

Best regards,

Grant

Edited - Clarification related to "the greyed out lines)

Originally posted by Colin Mc Kernon:

Hi Guys, I am using Monarch Pro Version 7. I can see the HTML report and the tags / mark ups etc but it's the interpretion of these and using them in a trap that I find difficult. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 09, 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]