7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

Summaries: Filter Count Amount?

Nick Osdale-Popa

Using V7

Not sure if this is possible or not:

We have a log of all emails going through our gateway.  I've got the model to extract the domain portion of the incoming message headers and a summary that shows the count of each domain.

I'd like to have the summary show only where the count is greater or equal to 40.

• Summaries: Filter Count Amount?
          Grant Perkins

Nick,

I take it we should assume that you have already considered the 2 stage solution? Export of the first summary then use that (as a database file (?)into Monarch/Excel/Access according to choice) output as a new source and filter on the count field value.

The Holy Grail we seek is the one pass selection based on the count value derived from the dataset?

Grant

Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

Using V7

We have a log of all emails going through our gateway.  I've got the model to extract the domain portion of the incoming message headers and a summary that shows the count of each domain.

I'd like to have the summary show only where the count is greater or equal to 40. /b[/quote]

Nick Osdale-Popa

Considered yes, done it no.

So, the Holy Grail is still elusive.    

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Nick,

I take it we should assume that you have already considered the 2 stage solution? Export of the first summary then use that (as a database file (?)into Monarch/Excel/Access according to choice) output as a new source and filter on the count field value.

The Holy Grail we seek is the one pass selection based on the count value derived from the dataset?

Grant

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

Using V7

I'd like to have the summary show only where the count is greater or equal to 40. /b[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

Grant Perkins

Hmm.

The filters work only on the main data set whereas the count figures in the summary are dynamic calculations. However there are ways of DISPLAYING the summaries in different ways (colour coding) by setting parameters for the values in certain field or field combinations.

If that concept could be extended to allow a "DO NOT display" when a summary field value was outside certain parameters you could achieve the summarisation you seek in one pass.

One for the future? (Now where was that Suggestions Box?       )

In the meantime the only idea that I can think of (but don't have time to try at the moment) would require your incoming data to be grouped by message header and placed on its own, possibly virtual, page within the report. IIRC it may be possible from there to derive the row number within page number as a calculated field. Any 'page' with less than 40 rows could be rejected simply by filtering. (This assumes you do not all the rows for a given address for the rest of your report. If you doi this is not the way to go as far as I can see.)

When it comes to the summary, rather than using the roa count, simply use the MAX value of the row number for the total number of records.

It is possible you might run into the limits set for the size of page allowed.

The trouble is that you probably don't get the data in the required format to start with. In which case my guess is that regrouping it to have a chance of using this idea could be more effort than using what you have and going down the two stage route.

Interesting challenge though.

The 2 stage route could be as simple as producing a lookup table for count by message header then usng the count field as the filter. I seem to recall that Winn came up with a C&P solution to populating the internal lookup field with the summary results. So with manual intervention this could be a sort of one pass operation.

But my guess is you want to automate the whole thing which may be easier with an external lookup. At least I think it would be but you expert coders may know different!

My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Have fun.

Grant

Considered yes, done it no.

So, the Holy Grail is still elusive.      

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Nick,

Grant

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

Using V7

I'd like to have the summary show only where the count is greater or equal to 40. /b[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

Gareth Horton

Nick

Surely this is not as simple as simply going into domain field and in the matching tab, choosing Measure:count is at least 40?

Gareth

Using V7

I'd like to have the summary show only where the count is greater or equal to 40. /b[/quote]

Nick Osdale-Popa

Gareth, I could kiss you, in that manly, thankful kinda way!      This is one of those "D'Oh!" moments!

Grant Perkins

This is one of those "D'Oh!" moments! [/b][/quote]Err, yes, it certainly is. That's probably the one tab I haven't really had to think about using too much so far.

Guess I will remember for next time. Nothing like this sort of moment of embarrassment for creating a strong memory placement!

Grant

Gareth Horton

No problem at all,

The difficult thing for me was that with both you and Grant cogitating on it, I was sure it couldn't be that, so I had to read your posts multiple times before committing to my answer.

Gareth

Gareth, I could kiss you, in that manly, thankful kinda way!        This is one of those "D'Oh!" moments! [/b][/quote]