3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

An idea for report scrubbing?

Nick Osdale-Popa

I was just thinking about this earlier today.

Does anyone know if there is a simple program that will take a standard text file and convert it to  Lorem ipsum[/i]?  It would be an interesting way to scrub a report.

• An idea for report scrubbing?
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

I was just thinking about this earlier today.

Does anyone know if there is a simple program that will take a standard text file and convert it to  Lorem ipsum[/i]?  It would be an interesting way to scrub a report. /b[/quote]Interesting idea Nick. Have done some searches and not found anything that specifically addresses that requirement.

"Lipsum" generators, javascript and email address scramblers yes, text/report files - not yet.

Then it suddenly occured to me that you scramble without reformat by using MSRP to swap characters.(Or any of the edit tools in Unix, for example.)

If you were to develop a random character swap command string generator with MSRP constraints you would not even know what the exchanges were! May not be necessary to go that far though.

Your data would be without proper words and some codes - state and zip are examples - that might not need to be changed probably would be. There may be ways around that and it would likely be a problem in any generic program anyway. The biggest problem would probably relate to using standard lookup tables against changed entries! (I am assuming you are trying to anonomise reports for internal testing purposes or sharing with people on a forum).

But I guess you could randomise the table entries using the same character exchange string?

Woould that be OK and sufficient?

What do you think?

Grant

Nick Osdale-Popa

Most interesting idea... I wouldn't really care that addresses would be randomized. 

The only drawback (in both cases) I see is when a report maybe producing two identical types of detail, with slight changes to whats being reported.  A text scrambler would randomize each entry and to the casual observer they would look like two individual entries, when in fact they are related.

Grant Perkins

Nick,

Yep, there are some limits, although if you don't go for a randomised 'scrambler' and use the same exchange set (from a pre-prepared library of exchange sets?) then you would get pretty much the same exchanges.

One might need care if aspects of the data were important in making up successful templates or calculated fields.

No reason that the scramble could not be a multi stage process for some of the more complicated requirements ...

Must make some time to experiment.

The other idea would be to create word exchange using MS Word (the if I type this then make it this instead) 0and maybe it is possible to write a macro to make use of that to exchange word for word?

Just a thought.

Grant

Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

Most interesting idea... I wouldn't really care that addresses would be randomized. 

The only drawback (in both cases) I see is when a report maybe producing two identical types of detail, with slight changes to whats being reported.  A text scrambler would randomize each entry and to the casual observer they would look like two individual entries, when in fact they are related. /b[/quote]