4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by cpham _ RSS

Read txt files with Monarch Report Explorer

cpham _

Hi everybody,

is it possible to read txt files with Monarch Report Explorer ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Christophe

• Read txt files with Monarch Report Explorer
          Grant Perkins

Christophe,

Report Explorer is dedicated to Portable Report Format (.prf) files created by Monarch as compressed and indexed (usually) versions of text files with the potential for password security.

It is a great way to share report analysis  using external resources (or internal) by sending very small files as email attachments but providing full details and an structured index tree where appropriate.

It only reads .prf files gernerated by Monarch functionality. However I see no reason why you should not use Monarch to to store a .txt file (or many .txt files perhaps?) as a compressed prf and then make use of the Report Explorer or even Monarch to view and rapidly search the contents.

Whether this would be useful compared to other methods of accessing the information is difficult to comment about without knowing what you need to achieve.

I hope this helps a little.

Grant

cpham _

Thanks Grant for your answer.

So, i found how to compress several txt files into a prf one.

Do you know how scripting this operation to avoid doing it manually ?

[size="1"][ January 12, 2006, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: cpham ][/size]

Grant Perkins

Hi Christophe,

Automation is not something I do very often so I would suggest, as a start, following the procedure and instructions set out in the Monarch Help for "Using a Command Line to create a Portable Report" - which is what I would read before going further.

If you have a recent version of Monarch Pro the best approach is to use a Project definition to specify the reports you need to bring together and there is a specific example related to this.

You may have some need to deal with files with different names - a project would normally expect to have the names and locations of the files specified in the definition. Some of the forum members who have experience in automation with variable input files (both by name/location and perhaps by the number of files of be processed) would be better able to help with that. I think there are already some examples of that type of processing in the forum records. It is likely that VB code will have been used rather than a command file.

The best approach for your needs will depend upon what you have to work with at the beginning of the process. For example if you have several files to include but the quantity of files can vary from one process to the next it may be better to concatentate the files into a single file (with a specific name) outside Monarch and then open the new file as the source of the PRF.

If the Help information does not get you to a complete solution for your needs it may be worth posting a description of the process you want to achieve and allowing the automation experts on the forum to provide their solutions. If it was my requirement that is exactly what I would do!

I hope this helps.

Grant

cpham _

Thanks a lot for your help Grant.

Christophe