3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Date work

helpless _

I have a date field on a text report that I split into two fields

Begmonth & Endmonth.

So the date in the report goes from 1/12/02 to

"1"   "02".

I was hoping there was someway to put the date back, always have the first of the month (i.e. 1/12/02 to 1/1/02). I hope this makes sense!! Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance

• Date work
          Tom Whiteside

Hi, bls!

Try this [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000009#000000"]thread[/url] from last year.  If there's too much to plod through - - after all, it's one of mine - - just go for the relevant part of the topic, namely:

If your report starts out with a “real” date, e.g., 07/14/02, and is called, e.g., Orig_Date, then use the date-to-character function to turn it into a text date:

Txt_Date=Dtoc()

Because of the mm/dd/yy format, use a modification of the dd/mmm/yy formula used in my original tip:

Month=Ctod(Substr(,1,3)”01”Substr(,6,3))

This should give you the “real” date of 07/01/02.  The messy substring formula takes any text date of "mm/dd/yy" and changes it to a text date of "mm/01/yy," then Ctod changes it to a “real” date of mm/01/yy.[/quote]Now, let us know if have anything else to use your date for - - the possibilities are endless!

Best of luck!

[size="1"][ May 01, 2006, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]

• Date work
            helpless _

Worked like a charm! I can also apply this to other templates!!!

Thanks!!!

• Date work
              Grant Perkins

Just revisited this as it came to the top of the list and I suddenly remembered Winn's solution to the  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000197#000009"]'back one month problem'[/url] from May this year.

That was a little more complex than this requirement as it was a month shift and the number of days in a month became significant.

Here it would be a bit easier. Haven't tried it but it seems to me that it should be possible to get the date day ( say the 7th of the month) and simply subtract the (number of days -1) that gives from the reported date, thus giving the 1st of the month. Something similar could be done with the month calculation.

Any comments? Looks like 2 solutions for the price of one but I may have missed something.

Grant

[size="1"][ May 01, 2006, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]