4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Pro 8.0 -- change in formats

Becky _

I previously had Monarch 5.0, and have upgrade to Pro 8.0.

I have a model where there are "fields" that are either blank, or could have a value.  The field is set as a "numeric" format.

In the old version, the blank items came in as "zeroes".  In the new version the come in as "null".

I can't find any other settings to make them come in as zeroes in Pro 8.0.

Access doesn't like to see "null" values where it's expecting a true numeric . . .

I know I could do a crazy "calculated field" for all those fields . . . and if it's blank, make it zero, etc. . . . but that seems like a poor way to fix my problem.

Anyone know a setting in Pro 8.0 to default to zero if it's set as a numeric field?

• Pro 8.0 -- change in formats
          Bradl Vogl

Go to

Options,

View,

display null values as,

Change default (null) to 0....or whatever you choose

Becky _

Is that a "global" option? or is it specific to that Model?  or that Project?

Thanks for the help!!!

Becky _

Problem . . .

That option only changes the "view", it doesn't change the actual "data".

When I export that file, I get "blanks", not "zeroes".

Any other possible options ? ? ?

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Becky:

I know I could do a crazy "calculated field" for all those fields . . . and if it's blank, make it zero, etc. . . . but that seems like a poor way to fix my problem.

/b[/quote]Becky,

I think the calculated field option is probably the best way to go and yet still retain a clearly traceable audit of where the 'value' comes from. A specific field is much more evident than, say, a setting in a field definition. It seems to me that the recent focus on being able to audit anything and everything lends weight to this view but I can accept that others may disagree.

You don't mention whether you were using 5 standard or Pro but I assume the values, blank or otherwise are coming from a report.

On a more general note the information about what settings are stored and where (plus a few hidden values for those with the options to edit their registry) can be found in the Help file. Search for 'Settings'. Quite interesting and potentially useful.

HTH.

Grant