3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Getting started - capture from MVS

DGerdner _

We have a dumb terminal hooked up to a remote mainframe system.  There is a coaxial cable running from a hub to a printer.  We would like to be able to place a PC between the hub and the printer & capture the data into Monarch.  I'm certain I can handle all of the software side of things, but am uncertain about where to begin from the hardware end.

Has anyone had experiencing doing this kind of capturing of data?  Please email if possible.

• Getting started - capture from MVS
          tcorley _

Question: Is the data you need currently being sent to the printer?

DGerdner _

Yes.  Basically there's a dumb terminal, a printer, and a bunch of network gear sitting on a table.  The printer is running all day long spitting out data to which the users have no other access other than through these hardcopies.

There is a coaxial cable running to the printing that puts me to mind of the old Ethernet network cards we used before RJ began to be used. I am not a mainframe guy, so I don't know if that's the kind of cable normally used with printers on mainframes, or if the printer actually has a network card that's being used.

Grant Perkins

Trying to think back a few years to similar setup ...

Basically the printer is likely to be a separate dedicated network connection just like the terminal. In fact it is probably being driven like a terminal via the connection definition on the mainframe.

Two thoughts occur to me.

Firstly it may be possible to simply save the print spool file on the mainframe (spool assumed) as an addition to the print ooutput or instead of it. However there would be a need to script the process to ensure that at some point the file was closed and restarted (probably as part of some housekeeping process), save and distribute the existing file.

Secondly you could replace the dumb terminal with an old PC (cheap) and use something like Hyperterminal or another terminal emulation program for access to the mainframe and to capture the 'printer' output.

After those thoughts the execution of the idea becomes a technology specific technical issue which I always passed on to others who knew what they were doing!   

Hope this is helpful.

Grant

Originally posted by DGerdner:

Yes.  Basically there's a dumb terminal, a printer, and a bunch of network gear sitting on a table.  The printer is running all day long spitting out data to which the users have no other access other than through these hardcopies.

There is a coaxial cable running to the printing that puts me to mind of the old Ethernet network cards we used before RJ began to be used. I am not a mainframe guy, so I don't know if that's the kind of cable normally used with printers on mainframes, or if the printer actually has a network card that's being used. /b[/quote]