7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:59 AM by Bruce _ RSS

Automating an export into Excel

Bob0906 _

I would like to get some help from you Monarch wizards out there!  I am new to Monarch and am trying to automate a report from Monarch v6 pro into Excel 2000.  My questions are as follows:

Can you run one single batch file to run two reports, collecting data from 2 different sources, using 2 different monarch models?

Is it possible to force Monarch to put the data exports into the same Excel document under different tabs?

Appreciate any help.

Regards Bob

• Automating an export into Excel
          cardealers _

Bob,

I have been told you can do both of your questions with Version 7 of Monarch.

Cardealers

RalphB _

You can do that in Ver 6 pro also but you must use visual basic to do that.  I do that on a daily basis with macros I have set up in Excel.  Download and read the Programmers Guide for help on setting up the macros.

Grant Perkins

Bob,

You should be able to create a script to run the two individual analyses (probably using Projects would be the easiest way to write the script). I assume the data outputs are very different from each source/model combination.

My understanding is that straight scripting in V6 does not allow a table (tab) to be specified during the export function. However you could export to separate Excel workbooks/sheets and then simply use both of those as lookup sources for a 'master' workbook.

In your position I would look very closely at V7 Pro which offers "Export Projects" features that should cover everything you want to do regarding specifying an Excel 'tab' to export to. You would still require the processes to be run separately, as far as I can tell, but that should not be a problem to script.

My guess is that you would be able to calcualte a very cost effective upgrade proposal - though it may depend on whether you have a large number of users on a network licence.

I hope these suggestions help a little.

Grant

Originally posted by Bob0906:

Can you run one single batch file to run two reports, collecting data from 2 different sources, using 2 different monarch models?

Is it possible to force Monarch to put the data exports into the same Excel document under different tabs?

Appreciate any help.

Regards Bob /b[/quote]

Bruce _

Bob

I use ver 7 to export to Excel. I export 2 different filters (on one report) to 90 files on one directory, then a another file with 4 tabs on another directory, all without macros or scripting. To run two reports like you have would be easy to do, though I have not yet played with scripting.

Ver 7 is terrific, and I have used ver 3,4,& 5 before.

Bruce

Richard Corby

Bruce,

I run via .bat files approx. 20 reports each night which export to an Excel file.  Each file is uniquely named with the date.  Ideally, I'd like to just add a tab to an existing file - a new tab for each day.  I'm using version 7 (non-pro).

Do you accomplish this via .bat files?

Bruce _

Richard

I have not gotten around to using bat files. However to add a new tab to an Excel file form the export menu is straight forward.

Create an export (or use an existing one) then use the ADD DATA TO THE FILE tab. If you overwrite, the existing excel file will be clobbered.

Hit next and you will create a new tab.

I run a few differnt filters, and the export will use ALL FILTERS, and I create a new file (or new tab in the same file) by naming the tab the same as the filter.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Bruce _

Richard

I gave you wrong info. I am referring to ver 7 PRO, and I re-read & see you are using 7 std ver. My method is only good for pro.

Sorry for the wrong steer.

Bruce