I assume the status identifiers are the letters (Q or whatever) and that they do align under the Task Number columns?
Do you have Version 7 of Monarch?
If so you should be able to use the Multi Column Region feature for your purpose. However from the format posted there may be some tricky issues with defining traps. I am hoping that your original report may offer greater potential since whilst I can get the sample to work it would be nice to find a more robust set of traps!
I defined the MCR and I made the 'crew' lines the detail rows, trapping on the first character of the name and where there is an alpha character in the first position in the column. I appreciate that that may not work for you - hence the comment above - but hope you could find something suitable.
I then defined an append template to trap on "TASK NUMBER" and painted a field in the first row 3 characters wide (My sample data has 3 char wide columns). Name the field, set it to Character rather than numeric and go to 'Advanced' and set 'End Field On' to a suitable value. Probably 'Non blank preceeding string of character' so that the multi-line field stops before it picks up text/data below the Task Number area. (There are other ways possible to restrict this BUT whether you can use them or need ot use them depends rather on the detsil of your full report content.)
That should allow you to see a table with the Task Number in one field and the Names and status in 2 further fields.
You can sort the table how you want it and so on.
If the spaces in the Task Number are a problem (as I suspect they might be if I got the format right) use the STRIP function to substitute the Task Number field with a calculated field having the spaces stripped out.
If you haven't got V7 you will need a different solution which will surely be more complex. So I will await some feedback before even contemplating lookig at that possibility! And even then it may somply be that an upgrade would be the most cost effective solution!!
I hope this helps and that your full report offers some useful extra trap options in case they are required.
Having communicated with Lee directly we have a model that looks like it will work pretty well on the full report BUT have hit a snag.
The Multi Column Region function appears to have a limit of 15 columns - Lee needs about 40.
Optional and Alternative approaches being considered.
[size="1"][ January 28, 2004, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]
The 15 column limit in V7 MCR has been confirmed.
For most people this will not be a problem but the nature of Lee's report means a varied strategy is required.
Non-MCR approaches look a little daunting and may start to push into other internal limits due to potentially large numbers of calculation fields required to manipulate the data.
One option is to look at using MCR with 3 variant models as a 3 pass process, each of which export to a common file using append mode.