2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Mike Urbonas RSS

Trying to capture data over a page break?

Cary _

I have an old DOS report that one of my users is quite attached to. The data I want exists over 3 lines. It is relatively simple in most cases to trap the data but what does occasionally happen is that there will be a page break after line 1 or line 2 of the data and consequently the data doesn't all get trapped. Any ideas on how to work around this problem?

• Trying to capture data over a page break?
          Grant Perkins

Hi Cary,

If you define a page header template for as many lines as exist at the top of the page before the first roll-over record line is printed it should solve your problem I think.

See what you get - it's easy enough to change the number of lines on the template and experiment. You don't have to define any fields - just the template area.

Of course if the report is not for some obscure reason not consistent in its headers (I have seen that before now) we may need to search for an alternative solution!

Hope that works for you.

Grant

Originally posted by Cary:

I have an old DOS report that one of my users is quite attached to. The data I want exists over 3 lines. It is relatively simple in most cases to trap the data but what does occasionally happen is that there will be a page break after line 1 or line 2 of the data and consequently the data doesn't all get trapped. Any ideas on how to work around this problem? /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ January 22, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Trying to capture data over a page break?
            Mike Urbonas

We have discussed several solutions to this problem in

[url="http://monarch.datawatch.com/monarch_newsletter.htm"]The Monarch Report newsletter[/url] - we called it the "When Page Headers Attack!" series   smile.gif[/img] 

The easiest solution is from our June 2003 issue, text repeated below.  In the unlikely event this solution does not work, check out other (more complex) solutions in our March and April issues accessible via the above link.

When Page Headers Attack!  Part 3

The March and April issues of The Monarch Report suggested ways, some easy, some complex, to get

Monarch to ignore page headers that interrupt data in a report. You can view these tips from our Monarch Report archive at: [url="http://monarch.datawatch.com/monarch_newsletter.htm"]http://monarch.datawatch.com/monarch_newsletter.htm[/url]

Several readers notified The Monarch Report that there is an even easier solution:

1. In the Monarch report view, highlight all rows of an entire instance of a page header. Now, click on Template - New Template.

2. Create a unique trap that will only apply to the page headers.

3. Be sure to set the trap type to Page Header.

4. Do not highlight any fields. Just click OK.

Monarch should now ignore your page header lines when trapping your detail data. In rare instances where the page header rows are somehow inconsistent, this tip might not work, but the previous page header tips will still work. Thanks to everyone who contacted The Monarch Report for the heads-up!