8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by stan sano RSS

Help with publish

stan sano

We currently upgraded to Monarch Pro v8.  We have winbatch scripts to "publish" txt files to monarch.  at the time we had monarch v4something. 

In the old winbatch wbt programs, we use the command

Runwait ("C:Program FilesMonarchprogrammonarch.exe", "D:zzz.TXT D:zzz.MOD D:zzz.PRF")

where we execute monarch by taking the zzz.TXT file and zzz.MOD model files and create zzz.PRF file. 

In our old system, we take a number of TXT files and publish all of them using the above statement using parameters. 

under the current monarch v8, I can't seem to get this to work, it just pulls up monarch v8, but it doesn't do the publish (save as portable report).    :confused: 

does anybody else do this kind of "publishing" with monarch v8?  If this command doesn't work on v8, I will probably have to reprogram the winbatch program to manually get into monarch and save as a portable report. 

any suggestions or help?   thanks.

• Help with publish
          Grant Perkins

Stan,

I'm not surte if there would be any Winbatch issues but using a .BAT file to automate the creation of .PRF files, etc., is available with additional parameters.

Have you read Chapter 9 of the Monarch Help? It's the section that explains command line usage and syntax. It has a specific section about creating PRF files.

If you have already read that and are still having difficulties let us know.

Grant

• Help with publish
            stan sano

thanks grant, I tried it using the sample from chapter 9. 

Do you have actual commands in a .bat file that works and creates the prf file?  I tried to do it, but still can't get it to work.  It opens up the monarch showing the .txt file and .mod files but it doesn't do anything. 

this is the command that I am using in the .bat file.

monarch.exe /rpt:"D:zzz.TXT" /mod:"D:zzz.MOD" /exp:"D:zzz.PRF"

am I missing something?  I have the monarch defined in system variables so I don't need to qualify where it is.  the zzz.PRF file isn't already existing so it shouldn't have a problem with rewriting it. 

thanks for your help.

• Help with publish
              Grant Perkins

Stan,

I remember checking the functionality worked at V8 level but I don't have much call for producing PRF files (which is sad in my view since they offer all sorts of opportunities to make business more efficient.)

One thing I can ask is how the export will know what you want to export - have you already set up a manual version of an export to establish some defaults to be used when no other commands or given?

It's a little late here but I will try to make some time to check the process tomorrow (or rather, later today!)

The other question may be whether you D: drive is local or a network drive and is there likely to be any question over the automated processes's rights to create a file on D: ?

Or things like that.

Hopefully I will have more for you tomorrow.

Grant

• Help with publish
                stan sano

Thanks Grant.  I'm still having problems running the commands in the bat file. 

I loaded monarch v8.01 on my computer at work, it is windows xp pro machine.  the command worked and a prf file was created correctly. 

the computer that we will be doing the work on is a windows 2003 server edition.  I checked and it also contains monarch v8.01.  I tried to install the latest updates, but it said that it was already on version 8.01. 

I have full administrators rights so access shouldn't be a problem.  it does not create a prf file when I fire up the bat file on the win 2003 server machine. 

I sent in a query to datawatch about it, but still haven't gotten any response on it.  I remember reading some problems exporting reports on a windows 2003 and heard that there is a fix in v8.01 that supposedly corrected the problem, but haven't heard from anybody if that is the case. 

thanks for your help grant, hope that datawatch or somebody can help me get this thing running. 

stan

• Help with publish
                  Grant Perkins

Hi Stan,

OK, not much I can add to that I'm afraid as I am using XP based machines and it seems like you have that one working OK.

There was also a report of a similar problem back in the summer. In that case the problem seemed to reduce or disappear when a new model was created and used to generate the PRF.

Not sure if they are really connected nor whether your circumstances are similar.

If you do a search on 'permission' you should find the post a few records down the list.

Good luck,

Grant

• Help with publish
                    stan sano

Thanks ken, I tried that, but get the message "Program..." is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. 

I set it up in the PC under computer management, environment variables, path, to point to that directory so the system will automatically look in that directory for the exe file.  Monarch v8.01 does fire up, just that it doesn't seem to do anything.   Hard to debug as it doesn't really say much, box opens with zzz.txt and zzz.mod but no prf file is created. 

Did you use the exact statement or is your statement different than the one I supplied?  I am trying to eliminate all variables to see if anything will work on the windows 2003 server. 

I even moved all files directly to the program folder and still couldn't get it to work.  I reinstalled v8.01 also and no dice. 

Also, were you one of those that had problems with the publish using v8 working with windows 2003 server the other month?   Not sure, I kind of read someplace that there were problems with publishes with v8 with windows 2003 servers. 

btw, Grant, I redid the mod file, it created an xmod file, but I got the same result, but thanks for your suggestions. 

thanks for your help guys, any other suggestions are welcome.  I will try anything to get this thing to work.  Normally I would think it could be related to security permissions or something, but the signon I'm using is the administrators signon so had access rights to everything. 

I sent the information to datawatch, but so far haven't gotten any response from them. 

stan

• Help with publish
                      Grant Perkins

Originally posted by stan sano:

btw, Grant, I redid the mod file, it created an xmod file, but I got the same result, but thanks for your suggestions. 

stan /b[/quote]Stan,

Did you change the command line to look for the xmod rather than the mod file?

Probably a silly question but you never know.

The other thing you could try if to save the whole thing with project exports and as a project  and then set the command line to kick off the project. Makes the command simpler. WOuld also allow you to check whether any other forms of export fail.

But I agree that I would be thinking in terms of file creation rights wherever the output is to be created. Either that or something in the PRF creation definition is not complete enough for V8 to understand ... that's a long shot.

The other thing that I have used before, but not related to PRF creation as far as I can remember, is the ERRor LOG file. Have a look in the Help under SETTINGS and scroll down to the hidden settings section. Not sure it will help but there would seem to be nothing to lose by checking!

HTH.

Grant

• Help with publish
                        stan sano

thanks ken and grant.   I'm still having problems with the publish.  Grant, yes I did change the command line to reflect the xmod model and it still doesn't work. 

Ken, thanks for the script.  I tried it and it still didn't fire up monarch correctly.   I was able to manually publish the report, but I have to do more testing. 

I just reloaded my old version of monarch (4.01, yes I know it is old) and seem to be encountering problems saving and/or accessing the files when I do publish the reports.  seems to maybe indicate some kind of access permission problem, except that I am using the administrator's signon for the server, which should allow total access to everything. 

Real funny, when I try to publish to a directory, it gives the message "May not be accessible" and it doesn't publish the report. 

When I publish the report to the D: and C: drives, they work and I can access the reports using monarch 4.01 and MRE 1.05. 

When I try to publish to C:Program FilesMonarchPublish I get the message "Insufficient room on disk file".  It creates the prf file but I can't open the file using either monarch 4.01 or MRE.  when I try to open the prf file using MRE, I get the message "supevisor password required" and it asks to install a PICS rule file into the content advisor feature of internet explorer.  I normally get that message when MRE is screwed up and I just manually reinstall MRE for users when that happens.  but this time I can access other prf reports with MRE so it must be a problem in this prf file. 

I did change the default directories to point to the our model directory and publish directories and other directories, but the administrator password should have access to all files and directories.  I am researching with our tech support staff to see why I am getting access permission errors. 

BTW, I was testing running the publish using scheduled tasks.  apparently, it doesn't seem to fire up monarch properly when the server isn't logged on, or if the server screensaver locks the server (time out).   I had to turn off the screensaver and log on for the publish to work on the 2003 server.  but this is with the monarch 4.01 and winbatch wbt programs to run. 

thanks for the help, but not sure what is causing all the permission problems.  something is up.   There is also a high probability that the permission problems could be causing the problems with my publishing in monarch v8.01. 

stan