2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

Exporting to Excel using JetExport

JoeB _

Is there a better way to get data into an excel model using Monarch? 

I have created an excel model called Payrolltax.xls where the user pushes a button and the excel VBA code fires up a Monarch project file which opens some reports saved in a directory and loads the information in the model.  However, I have not been able (using JetExport) to export the data directly from Monarch to Payrolltax.xls.  The reason I can not go directly from Monarch to Payrolltax.xls is because the user is in the model when they push the button that starts the process.  To get around this I created a separate Excel file called Data.xls that I use as a go between.  Monarch exports the information to Data.xls and then the VBA code opens Data.xls copies the information and then paste it into Payrolltax.xls.

Is this the best way to do this?

I did a test to see if I could go directly into Payrolltax.xls and I did not get the results that I had expected.  The process runs fine but it does not export the information.  I had expected an error message that said Monarch could not access the Payrolltax.xls file but I did not get one.

Any helpful suggestions?

• Exporting to Excel using JetExport
          RalphB _

You could store your excel vba code in a separate spreadsheet and export into the payrolltax.xls spreadsheet.  I have an excel spreadsheet that I have several macros set up in that I can run different Monarch models and exports into different spreadsheets depending on what choice I make.  This way, I keep all macros together where they can be easily managed and accessed.

Originally posted by JoeB:

Is there a better way to get data into an excel model using Monarch? 

I have created an excel model called Payrolltax.xls where the user pushes a button and the excel VBA code fires up a Monarch project file which opens some reports saved in a directory and loads the information in the model.  However, I have not been able (using JetExport) to export the data directly from Monarch to Payrolltax.xls.  The reason I can not go directly from Monarch to Payrolltax.xls is because the user is in the model when they push the button that starts the process.  To get around this I created a separate Excel file called Data.xls that I use as a go between.  Monarch exports the information to Data.xls and then the VBA code opens Data.xls copies the information and then paste it into Payrolltax.xls.

Is this the best way to do this?

I did a test to see if I could go directly into Payrolltax.xls and I did not get the results that I had expected.  The process runs fine but it does not export the information.  I had expected an error message that said Monarch could not access the Payrolltax.xls file but I did not get one.

Any helpful suggestions? /b[/quote]

• Exporting to Excel using JetExport
            Nick Osdale-Popa

Joe, if I understand you correctly, you have a macro in Payroll.xls that executes Monarch that is supposed to update the Payroll.xls file, correct?

Yes, Monarch cannot update a spreadsheet that is currently in use.  What you have done is the best way to accomplish this, or as Ralph has said use a seperate macro/xls file to update the Payroll.xls file and use it to open the Payroll.xls file when done.