8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Using Monarch 8 with Crystal 10 Reports .rpt

keithdatawatch _

Can anyone tell me how to get a Crystal report .rpt to work with a monarch model. I can export the Crystal report .rpt to a PDF format and that works but it is not a long term solution for me. I want to look at several days of .rpt files and not convert them to pdf or txt before applying a model.

Here is the qoute from Monarch help related to prep utility overview.

"Monarch input files must be fixed length text format.  These files are variously known as TXT files, formatted text files, PRN files , RPT files, SDF files, etc.  The following file types can also be used as input to Monarch, but require some preparation."

It lists .rpt file as one that needs no further preparation???

I also created a text printer but it truncates the data.

When I export it to text from Crystal 10 it truncates it as well.

[size="1"][ December 06, 2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: keithdatawatch ][/size]

• Using Monarch 8 with Crystal 10 Reports .rpt
          Grant Perkins

Keith,

File extension naming can be very misleading so I am guessing that the Crystal 'standard' for a .rpt file is not the asame ase the originally recognised 'standard' used if an output file was to be named with a .rpt extension.

However, not being a Crystal user, I can't guide you on the approach to take. Hopefully others will be able to do that.

As for your approach using other output, with particular reference to the print to file and export text options, either Crystal has an export problem OR the 'paper size' the export is working with is not wide enough for the report. My hunch would be that it will entirely print the pages in sections somewhere in the output file, just not somewhere that is of any use to you. But it could be worse that that and just throw the rest away ...

I would try specifying a different paper size (i.e. print area size) for your "print to file" printer or for your export to text, though I assume that "export to text" is an internal program so I have no idea where such a setting might be set.

HTH.

Good luck.

Grant

Grant Perkins

Keith,

I have just ahd another thought on this - you didn't indicate in what way the .rpt input failed to work in Monarch.

Presumably you have already played with the options for import control? (thought I would mention it in case you had overlooked them as I did on my earlier response.)

So the question then would be - what sort of results are you getting when you read in the file?

Does it look like a report but badly formatted or is it complete garbage?

Grant

keithdatawatch _

look like a report but badly formatted

The data get truncated and moved.

keithdatawatch _

It looks like a report but badly formatted.

It truncates and groups the data together wrong.

I was able to get it to work with a pdf but that's an extra step than Monarch makes it a text file.

Grant Perkins

Keith,

That sort of sounds like it has some embedded print control characters perhaps - or lacks some and is maybe exceeding the max line width but that sounds unlikely from what youy describe.

I found 4 .rpt files from different sources on this PC and all of them open fine with Monarch.

2 suggestions.

Try using the Datawatch EXAMINE utility to see if there are any unexpected characters in the report and then consider if they might be causing problems. Also check the FONT to make sure nothing has slipped in there to cause display problems.

Or

If you have a sample report that you could release for testing I would be happy to have a quick look to see if I can spot anything. If that is an option I will PM you with my email address.

Grant

Grant Perkins

I have just contacted a CR user I have previously worked with and he tells me the .rpt files are report definition files rather than output files, so contain formatting and SQL query information.

For an output file he would expect to use the report definition to produce a .csv or .txt file. (Or a PDF I suppose, but I think a csv or txt file would be a better option if offered.

Does this seem to be the same as you are finding?

Grant

keithdatawatch _

Grant,

Grant,

you said previously you found 4 .rpt files from different sources that worked were they Crystal reports or something saved as RPT files.

I am working through a solution with Data Pump for automation with Datawatch ES. Just so you know Monarch v8 doesn't not convert PDF's to text it views them and you can save the table as text. Monarch ES doesn't support PDF's as source files so you have to mine the PDF and save the results as a text file to be your new source document big pain.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by keithdatawatch:

you said previously you found 4 .rpt files from different sources that worked were they Crystal reports or something saved as RPT files.

/b[/quote]None of them would have been created with Crystal as far as I can recall. Various packages would produce an output as something which was a text file, basically, but had a different type of extension to identify some formatting and also to label it for program association requirements using MS applications auto associations.

It sounds like like Crystal (along with others over the years with different suffixes) have 'adapted' the original standards to suit their own naming preferences.

If the rpt file is a report definition the problem you have is similar to that experienced by AS400 users where the typical output file is a report definition rather than a text based file. For viewing on screen a user would call the report definition and the data would be gathered and presented. I guess they might print from there?

So the file you are opening and analysing is a report definition file. In itself that is fine but not what you want!

You certainly do want the the report printed in full (whatever extension that gets from Crystal) and saved as a text file with some sort of extension that does not tempt Monarch to presume a specific format.

The same comment will, clearly, apply to Data Pump and ES.

My comment about the conversion of PDF to text was simply related to the parallels of the applications where Adobe export interprets the PDF and creates a text file (which coould then be read using Monarch and converted to a table) whereas V8 seeks to do much the same thing but presents the table directly, missing out the 'text file' part - or at least hiding it in a work file concept. The table could of course be used to create a text file simply by capturing the full width of every line and exporting it as a text file.

Saving the already converted file in the ES Database means the conversion does not have to be repeated everytime an analysis is required - ES having a very different primary purpose compared to, say, a document storage and retrieval system.

BTW, if you need an extra pair of hands to help with your project in sunny Florida     :cool:   I could probably force myself to leave the northern European winter for a few months ...

HTH.

Grant