7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Floating trap

Lori _

The option "Fill empty cells with values from previous record" is not working when using a floating trap in version 7.  Is that by design or a bug?  Appreciate any comments.  Thanks.

• Floating trap
          Gareth Horton

Lori,

This must be a specific issue, as that option does work with floating traps. You need to give us a bit more information to work with.

Just open the sample report classic.prn, select the first line starting with "CD", and do a numeric,blank,blank,non-blank trap starting above the number 4 on the sample line.

Then paint a field to cover the CD and a few characters beyond.

Go into the table and choose the fill empty cells option and it works correctly.

Gareth

Originally posted by Lori:

The option "Fill empty cells with values from previous record" is not working when using a floating trap in version 7.  Is that by design or a bug?  Appreciate any comments.  Thanks. /b[/quote]

• Floating trap
            Lori _

The classic.prn was ok..I was able to auto fill values from the previous record.  However, I was still unable to apply it to my report.  Here's a sample:

A ,AAM ,Acct Assets with Market Values

,ABI ,Account Balance Inquiry

,ACD ,Available Cash Detail

The first column is suppose to autofill with the letter "A" if it's null.  I tried the above with a floating trap and a non-floating trap; only the non-floating trap worked.  Any ideas?

• Floating trap
              Steve Caiels

Hi Lori,

A workaround for this is to extract fields 2 and 3 using the floating trap, then bring in field 1 using an append template.

Regards

Steve

• Floating trap
                Lori _

Thanks for the workaround.  That worked.  Just curious, why didn't the floating trap way work?

• Floating trap
                  Grant Perkins

Lori,

My guess would be that the first field has been squeezed to 0 length by the floating trap concept used with your data. So effectively there is no field to fill for that row!  Just a guess.

Have you got the Pro version? If so why not read the file in as a database (csv file type) and avoid the floating trap issue? (If not Pro, yep, you have a good working compromise solution.)

Grant

Thanks for the workaround.  That worked.  Just curious, why didn't the floating trap way work? /b[/quote]

• Floating trap
                    Lori _

Yup, got the PRO version, but the "autofill value from previous field" option doesn't exist with a database csv import.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Lori,

My guess would be that the first field has been squeezed to 0 length by the floating trap concept used with your data. So effectively there is no field to fill for that row!  Just a guess.

Have you got the Pro version? If so why not read the file in as a database (csv file type) and avoid the floating trap issue? (If not Pro, yep, you have a good working compromise solution.)

Grant

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Lori:

Thanks for the workaround.  That worked.  Just curious, why didn't the floating trap way work? /b[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

• Floating trap
                      Grant Perkins

Good point Lori!!

Well, it is late over here - must go and make my warm milk, park the zimmer frame for the night and go to bed.     

Having got that wrong I just played with a file like the sample you offered and got a , in the first field. So my other guess was wrong as well.     

Still, rather than a no length field I got a single character field with the comma in it - so no need to 'fill' it from the program's point of view.

Steve's solution looks optimal, unless you want to do a replace on the file to change comma to space (?TAB) which would then give a blank entry to be filled. Could have other repercussions in the data though, I suspect.

Grant

Yup, got the PRO version, but the "autofill value from previous field" option doesn't exist with a database csv import.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Lori,

Grant

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Lori:

Thanks for the workaround.  That worked.  Just curious, why didn't the floating trap way work? /b[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

[size="1"][ July 03, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]