2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by keller _ RSS

Redwing text files

keller _

I use Redwing to extract text files from PDF format financial statements. One of our statements has recently changed from Producer: Acrobat Distiller 4.0 for Windows to Producer: GNU Ghostscript 5.10. We are unable to extract a text file from the new format PDF file. Any suggestions? Is there an updated version of Redwing available? Thanks.

• Redwing text files
          Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by keller:

I use Redwing to extract text files from PDF format financial statements. One of our statements has recently changed from Producer: Acrobat Distiller 4.0 for Windows to Producer: GNU Ghostscript 5.10. We are unable to extract a text file from the new format PDF file. Any suggestions? Is there an updated version of Redwing available? Thanks.[/b][/quote]I believe GNU Ghostscript is freeware that converts output to PDF.  Unfortunately, it sounds like it is producing a "PDF Image Only" type of PDF file.  Redwing is not an OCR tool; it can't read text stored in a "PDF Image Only" type of PDF.

I suggest you ask the person sending you this PDF if Ghostscript can produce a "PDF Normal" file.  Or, it might[/i] be possible to convert the PDF Image Only file into a PDF Normal file using the Capture Pages command; check this with Adobe Acrobat's documentation.

• Redwing text files
            keller _

Mike,

Thanks for the help.