3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by DaveF _ RSS

Simple calculations in Summary window?

DaveF _

I'm needing to perform additional calculations on Summary columns, such as add, subtract, and divide.  Since I'm new to Monarch, I might be missing basic program capabilities, but I don't see how to do it.  Can anyone provide clues to how to do this?

• Simple calculations in Summary window?
          Gareth Horton

Dave

There are no calculations available in the Summary Window as far as you're describing, other than the Ratio calculation, which can be applied to another field. The only calculations available are different functions performed on the summary field itself, such as Sum, Avg, Max, Min, StdDev, Var.

Gareth

Grant Perkins

Dave,

Two questions to consider I guess.

Firstly, can you do the calculations using calculated fields in the main table then summarize on these new fields, using the functions available, without the resulting numbers becoming inaccurate?

Secondly, would you have any objections to a 2 stage process if it gave you the result you needed? For instance, produce your summary up to the point where you then want to calculate some other numbers. Then export it to whatever format is most suitable. (e.g. a text file or an Excel file or whatever). Read it back into Monarch as a new report (or a database perhaps if you used Excel format?) 'Extract' the new fields/data and create the required calculated fields, then publish in whatever format you prefer.

Could be more elegant but if it gets the results and, once developed, minimises the time it takes to produce the numbers, hey, that's a win.

Grant

Originally posted by DaveF:

I'm needing to perform additional calculations on Summary columns, such as add, subtract, and divide.  Since I'm new to Monarch, I might be missing basic program capabilities, but I don't see how to do it.  Can anyone provide clues to how to do this?[/b][/quote]

DaveF _

Thanks for your comments.  I'll approach my needs from another direction.