4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by tcorley _ RSS

Monarch using Nortel PBX

Cheryl Homan

I have recently installed a Nortel PBX and trying to get the data to read with Monarch.  I have a Hyperterminal session with the PBX data streaming on the screen but I can't find a way to capture the data to be able to read with Monarch.   I have just recently installed Monarch as well so it is new to me as well.  Any advice/assistance will be greatly welcome.

• Monarch using Nortel PBX
          Nick Osdale-Popa

Wow! That brings to mind so many possible applications.

I take it, this PBX box is hooked up to the serial port?

We have our alarm system set this way and what we have done is create a VB program that reads the serial port and logs all activity to a log file.

Once the log file is created, you can do anything you would like with it, such as using Monarch.

I'll have to explore some options, but I would wonder if an ODBC connection could be set up to read a serial port.  Then using a Pro version of Monarch, you could read the incoming stream.

Ponders

Nick Osdale-Popa

Still doing some research, but I found this to be a bit interesting:

[url="http://www.muconsulting.com/serialloggerservice/"]Serial Logging Service[/url]

It even mentions logging a PBX system

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Cheryl Homan:

I have recently installed a Nortel PBX and trying to get the data to read with Monarch.  I have a Hyperterminal session with the PBX data streaming on the screen but I can't find a way to capture the data to be able to read with Monarch.   I have just recently installed Monarch as well so it is new to me as well.  Any advice/assistance will be greatly welcome. /b[/quote]I thought most modern PBX's included management software that allowed (demanded?) a log file record for usage stats and so on. I can't imagine Nortel don't. That would be the best way to go. Have you spoken to your vendor about it?

The Hyperterminal Software on my Win98 system offers a 'Capture text' facility that will send the session text to a file or a printer - which could of course be a generic disk file. Might do the job for you but I'm sure you will find there is a better way somewhere in the system management tools. In fact I wonder if what you are seeing on screen is in fact file based output scrolled for on line monitoring? i.e. you are seeing what is (or may be would be) the content of the transaction record log.

Once you have the output the Monarch part should be fun to develop!

Grant

tcorley _

In your hypeterminal session look for an option to dump what is on the screen inot a file.

To save a HyperTerminal session to a text file

On the Transfer menu, click Capture Text.

In the File box, type a descriptive name for the file, and then click Start.

Note

To send the HyperTerminal session text directly to a printer, click Capture to Printer on the Transfer menu. When you end the call, the text will be sent to your default printer.