1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Exporting to Excel Again......

BryanT _

I know this one has been posted a few times, but I'm still struggling to solve it.

I am exporting a file including some numeric columns to Excel.  The numeric columns contain leading zeros which need to stay there.

However, defining the columns as numeric means I lose the leading zeros when the file is still in Monarch, if I change the format to character I get the dreaded apostrophe in each cell when I open the file up in Excel, which causes problems lateron working with the data.

The only way to partly get round the problem is to set the Excel level as 2.1, but that prevents me from exprorting large files & also confuses people later on as Excel gives a warning when you come to save the file that it's in 2.1 & do you want to change it.

help please!

• Exporting to Excel Again......
          Grant Perkins

There a a couple of other references if you search for "excel apostrophe".

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000164#000000"]Here[/url] is one that seems to cover a lot of suggestions and which may offer help.

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000147#000004"]Here[/url] is the other entry that relates.

Now if these do not help, not sure what else to suggest except check for the latest JetExport info at Microsoft.

Grant

Originally posted by BryanT:

I know this one has been posted a few times, but I'm still struggling to solve it.

I am exporting a file including some numeric columns to Excel.  The numeric columns contain leading zeros which need to stay there.

However, defining the columns as numeric means I lose the leading zeros when the file is still in Monarch, if I change the format to character I get the dreaded apostrophe in each cell when I open the file up in Excel, which causes problems lateron working with the data.

The only way to partly get round the problem is to set the Excel level as 2.1, but that prevents me from exprorting large files & also confuses people later on as Excel gives a warning when you come to save the file that it's in 2.1 & do you want to change it.

help please! [/b][/quote]

[size="1"][ May 18, 2006, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]