5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by RonP _ RSS

Books on Monarch

RobertR _

Are there any books on Monarch other than what is supplied with the software that I can reference?  I have a report that is a little more difficult than the examples given.

• Books on Monarch
          helpless _

I have search for one w/ no luck. In the last customer survey I asked for a book in every memo field. I don't think they picked up the hint.

• Books on Monarch
            Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by bls:

I have search for one w/ no luck. In the last customer survey I asked for a book in every memo field. I don't think they picked up the hint.[/b][/quote]bls, please rest assured your point is well taken.  The only books already "out there" come with Monarch (the Reference guide, now converted to the online help) and Learning Guide.  I am unsure that the market would be big enough to support a published book...yet.  For example, we have just started to offer Advanced Monarch training classes by our Training Dept. in addition to our longtime intro to Monarch training.  Response has been very good, very encouraging.  It is fair to say more frequent advanced training will be coming soon, perhaps also someday in the form of a published book, but, honestly, not in the near future.

That said, we DO plan on offering advanced Monarch training at our May 2003 User Conference (please see the User Conference thread on this forum), PLUS some "Beyond Advanced"/"power" sessions as well!

In the meantime, please elaborate on the report you are working on now and the advanced issues it presents, either on this board or send me a private email.  This would help us (1) address areas in the existing help that could be improved upon; (2) identify specific advanced training topics not yet addessed; (3) maybe even work such issues into our User Conference.

Regards

Mike

• Books on Monarch
              Viv _

If the audience is not large enough to warrant publishing a manual, why not make the training course handouts available for a fee to users. A number of people have asked this same question so there is obviously a need. I have been using Monarch long enough now to feel I do not really need a training course but, could benefit from a reference manual of some kind, for when I am attempting something new.

• Books on Monarch
                Grant Perkins

Maybe this forum could be the source of the practical information that people are seeking. It may take a little while but I reckon if the problem describers and solution providers agreed, the posts could be categorised and 'keyworded' and shaped into a 3 dimensional extended 'Useful Approaches' document.

Some solutions may be the answer to several different perceived problems, it's just a question of making that connection. Maybe some sort of decision tree front end would be good?

So, off the top of my head, you could start from;

Problem Report format

(Advanced Analysis, perhaps consider Examine to see hidden character problems, Prep if the report is more like a 'file' or MSRP to reshape the report to a better form. Otherwise how to approach getting the best out of the Template options, consider a multiple stage approach, etc. etc.)

Problem linking to Database

(Excel limitations, data interpretation, Access security - there must be many!)

Problem Linking to external file type (TAB, CSV etc.)

Types of Calculations (definitely multiple paths under that one! How about simple and effective techniques for generating calculations requiring multiple nested IF statements? I ALWAYS lose track of how many parentheses I have missed in those!)

Export rules and constraints, problems with 'limitations of target applications'

Scripting (for automation)

Programming (for the really clever guys out there)

Batch Processing (pulling some of the other strands together)

There must be many examples that the forum members could suggest. There may be source system specific strands - typical issues with Oracle Financials reports, how to deal with data arrays, how many different ways can I make analysis from just a single report and so on.

Anything that improves efficiency and cuts development time would surely be welcome.

Thoughts people?

Grant

Originally posted by Viv:

If the audience is not large enough to warrant publishing a manual, why not make the training course handouts available for a fee to users. A number of people have asked this same question so there is obviously a need. I have been using Monarch long enough now to feel I do not really need a training course but, could benefit from a reference manual of some kind, for when I am attempting something new.[/b][/quote]

[size="1"][ December 02, 2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Books on Monarch
                  RonP _

I think that sounds like a great idea. I have learned so much just by viewing the threads on this forum. For me I would like to know more about using VB to automate some of the everyday tasks.

Thanks

Ron