6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Error: "Report Width longer than 1000 characters" when report width is about 160

timberman _

Hi @all,

i think the topic says it all. monarch (pro 6.0)

keeps telling me that the report width is more then 1000 chars, but the actual width is about 160.

i can klick away the error message but i would like to know why this happens. the data seems to be imported correctly.

thx

timberman

• Error: "Report Width longer than 1000 characters" when report width is about 160
          Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by timberman:

Hi @all,

i think the topic says it all. monarch (pro 6.0)

keeps telling me that the report width is more then 1000 chars, but the actual width is about 160.

i can klick away the error message but i would like to know why this happens. the data seems to be imported correctly.

thx

timberman[/b][/quote]I have seen this as well, in reports where clearly there are no report lines anywhere near 1,000 characters.  It has to do with the report itself - it may be that your report is not using a typical "line feed" character at the actual end of each report line.  You could try the Examine download from the Support section of our website to see if this is the case, or just continue to click OK to the message...   smile.gif[/img]

Regards

Mike

• Error: "Report Width longer than 1000 characters" when report width is about 160
            Mark Huston

We get the same error when we open PDF files in Monarch 4.05. In that case, there's a line of non-printing characters that are document code used by Adobe. But we just click "OK". We double-check the table output totals against the report totals and it's "spot on" every time. Maybe you have some kind of non-printing characters embedded in your report.

timberman _

thx for your quick replies, i will try the download and post again.

timberman

timberman _

examine gives me back this:

"Error! Mismatched CR/LF combinations.

Use MSRP to match CR's to LF's."

the reason is clear now but i couldn't manage to use MSRP to "repair" the file (i don't understand what the error-message means exactly anyway). i think i will just go on clicking OK 

cu timberman

Grant Perkins

This is something that often happens if the original report has been writing to complete for a printer output and may have an extra LF/CR at the end (or somewhere, but typically at the last line).

Monarch tries to read pairs of LF/CR's to defined the lines. If there is an extra one somewhere it will interpret one line as never ending - often a 'last line' that does not exist in reality. Programmers often include these extras, intentionally or by accident, on the last line where they are not usually obvious.

Try editing the report 'file' and deleting the last line or last control character. Then reload to Monarch. You may need to look aroud a bit more than that - make sure that the 'OK' clicks do still produce the complete dataset in Monarch of you choose not to prepare the file before loading.

If there is a common reason you should be able to build a batch or script file to get rid of the 'error' before loading to Monarch. The Monarch scripting resource could allow that or maybe some other tool depending upon the source of the report. For example if it is from a Unix system a Unix command line or vi edit script might be the chosen option.

In the end you have to decide whether the process justifies automation due to complexity or the number of times it is used. If it is one file once a month I would tend to fix it manually. But if you are developing a process used frequently and by many people, then I guess they need to click on a button that runs a process that automates the task for them.

Hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by timberman:

examine gives me back this:

"Error! Mismatched CR/LF combinations.

Use MSRP to match CR's to LF's."

the reason is clear now but i couldn't manage to use MSRP to "repair" the file (i don't understand what the error-message means exactly anyway). i think i will just go on clicking OK    

cu timberman[/b][/quote]