5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Hin _ RSS

ODBC Error

Hin _

I got this error when I tried to use ODBC to lookup some values in a AS400 table:

"An external lookup data source..... is either missing or invalid......"

I tried to create new ODBC's and still got teh same error message.  Now I am not sure if it has anything to do with the upgrade to version 8.01 from version 8 or not.  The same ODBC worked before I did the upgrade.  Or, it could just be a coincidence.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• ODBC Error
          Hin _

I forgot to add this.  Although the ODBC gave me the error I mentioned in the first posting above, I was able to use the same ODBC to open the table to bring data into Monarch.

• ODBC Error
            Grant Perkins

Does this mean that the ODBC failed once and worked a second time (which might suggest a network issue at that moment, for example) or that the ODBC opened OK but you got the error.

The error looks like it is to do with an external data lookup table rather than the main database open - or is your model using a Report or database as the primary source and then ODBC for the external lookup into the database or something like that?

iirc most ODBC applications can produce log files for connectivity and error. Do they help the diagnosis at all?

HTH

Grant

• ODBC Error
              Hin _

I played with the ODBC a little more.  This is my observations:

If the value does not match up with the field type, Monarch will give me the error message I mention in the above posting.  For example, the company field is an alphanumeric field.  Monarch will give me the error when the some records have values of digits, say, '14' in the field.  I wonder if that is a bug in Monarch because I do not have this kind of issue when using ODBC with MS Access to get data from AS400 tables.

• ODBC Error
                Grant Perkins

Hin,

That sounds odd. Have you tried editing the field type to set it to alpha again in the model created and saving it then clsoing and re-opening the database?

I may be struggling to come up with any kind of ODBC connectiity to check this out but I will try to perform some more general database experiments.

Best regards,

Grant

• ODBC Error
                  Hin _

I was just plain stupid.  I did not know that I had to check the box in the 'Translation' tab when I created the ODBC DSN.  It works fine now after I went back to the DSN to check that box.

Sorry for wasting your precious time.  I really appreciate your input.