8 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Mike Urbonas RSS

Monarch V7 Table Export

Jacktheg _

The sales brochure, Page 2, implies that with version 7.0, I can specify a Table to export to for a model.  And that with a different model, I can specify a different table.  However, I cannot seem to do that.  There is no option to save the path and table that I want a certain model to go to.

IE: We open a report called Aging.prn.

When we open model Aging.mod, we want to export to: My Documents/Excel/Aging.xls

We then reopen Aging.prn.  Then we open model History.mod and we want to export to a table at:

My Documents/Access/History.dbf

And then a third time we open Aging.prn.  Then we open model Time.mod and we want to export to a Folder at My Documents/Access/Time/ as a dbf file.

Will version 7 accomplish this?

Thanks,

Jack

• Monarch V7 Table Export
          Nick Osdale-Popa

You can use any of the following options:

1) Scripting

2) OLE linking

3) Command line/prompt option - this is the one you'll most likely be interested in.

Off topic: BTW - it's my birthday today...35 years young!

[size="1"][ June 09, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Nick Osdale-Popa ][/size]

Tom Whiteside

Happy Birthday, Nick!

You look like a million bucks!  (Remember Vegas?)  Take care not to depreciate!   

Grant Perkins

Hi,

If you are doing as you describe and opening the same report 3 times with different models there is absolutely no reason that I can think of why you cannot save the exports into the directories you wish to use in the formats you require. The export wizard should offer you the options (check your export options settings as well). Once you have selected what you want to do fromthe first screen (General) you should move to the 'File Info' screen where you can specify a path, file name and extension OR click on the folder icon and browse to where you want the file to go as well as set the file type.

If you are looking to run all three models as a single job then batch scripting or similar (see the options in Nick's post) are the most likely ways to get the result. Unless you can develop a single model that extracts all of the data fields you require within your three separate exports and then use summaries to provide the Aging, History and Time data groupings from the resulting table. If you can do that then you need only run the process once and use the Project Export to create and distribute the three reports as prt of the one process.

Without knowing what your aging report looks like I am obviously speculating with that suggestion but if it might be feasible it would be a great way to address the requirement.

From what you wrote I was not completely sure whether or not you already have the V7 software, but it seemed like you did. My apologies if I guessed wrong. Either way I hope this helps in some way.

Best regards,

Grant

Originally posted by Jacktheg:

The sales brochure, Page 2, implies that with version 7.0, I can specify a Table to export to for a model.  And that with a different model, I can specify a different table.  However, I cannot seem to do that.  There is no option to save the path and table that I want a certain model to go to.

IE: We open a report called Aging.prn.

When we open model Aging.mod, we want to export to: My Documents/Excel/Aging.xls

We then reopen Aging.prn.  Then we open model History.mod and we want to export to a table at:

My Documents/Access/History.dbf

And then a third time we open Aging.prn.  Then we open model Time.mod and we want to export to a Folder at My Documents/Access/Time/ as a dbf file.

Will version 7 accomplish this?

Thanks,

Jack /b[/quote]

Jacktheg _

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Hi,

If you are doing as you describe and opening the same report 3 times with different models there is absolutely no reason that I can think of why you cannot save the exports into the directories you wish to use in the formats you require. The export wizard should offer you the options /b[/quote]Yes I have version 7.  I program Monarch for a bunch of different users.  Throughout the month we do different things with different reports.  Sometimes we want to export to an xls file and sometimes to a dbf file.  Sometimes, one model will always export to one file.  Sometimes a model will go to a folder, where the user needs to pick a sub-folder and file.  What I want is for that information to be stored in the model.  So if the user opens model "aging.mod", when he chooses to export the table the path is correct and the file type is xls.  However, when he opens model "history.mod", a different export path is shown and a different file type, like dbf.  Is that possible in version 7?  I only have the standard version, not Pro.  The standard version does not have the options shown on page two of the brochure.

Thanks,

Jack G

Grant Perkins

Hi Jack,

I reckon the key to this is that 7 Pro offers you the facilities of Project Export which would allow you to set up the preferred directories, files names and formats for the users (though they could chnge that if they wanted to but that doesn't sound like it should be a problem. I haven't seen the Standard version but from what I understand it does not have that functionality.

I know that people are often constrained by budgets when making buying decisions but I decided to buy the Pro version the first time the differential product was released and I have stuck with it since the additional fucntionality has always been worth the expense. However it does leave me a little spoiled for choice of functionality and with a tendency to assume that everyone else has the same! My apologies for the assumptions. Your people can still export as you describe (as far as I can tell) but you cannot control the export activity from within the application as far as I am aware. If your users were not 'hands on' you could use a script - you could give them one anyway I guess. But Pro would be a better solution I reckon.

Best regards,

Grant

Originally posted by Jacktheg:

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Hi,

If you are doing as you describe and opening the same report 3 times with different models there is absolutely no reason that I can think of why you cannot save the exports into the directories you wish to use in the formats you require. The export wizard should offer you the options /b[/quote]Yes I have version 7.  I program Monarch for a bunch of different users.  Throughout the month we do different things with different reports.  Sometimes we want to export to an xls file and sometimes to a dbf file.  Sometimes, one model will always export to one file.  Sometimes a model will go to a folder, where the user needs to pick a sub-folder and file.  What I want is for that information to be stored in the model.  So if the user opens model "aging.mod", when he chooses to export the table the path is correct and the file type is xls.  However, when he opens model "history.mod", a different export path is shown and a different file type, like dbf.  Is that possible in version 7?  I only have the standard version, not Pro.  The standard version does not have the options shown on page two of the brochure.

Thanks,

Jack G /b[/size][/QUOTE]

Jacktheg _

Thank you for your responses.  This is what I am trying to determine, whether we need "7" or "7 Pro".  In the past, there has not been a necessary reason to upgrade to the Pro version.  In fact, we are still using Version 4, because that version still leaves the default sheet name as "Untitled" for xls files as opposed to using the filter name as the sheet name.  I have been requesting that Datawatch add "Export info" to the models since version 5 and was hoping they had finally listened.  The brochure implies that the standard version will do this.  I called tech support today, and they were stumped...said they would get back to me.  I have been using Monarch since it first came out in DOS.  My users are fairly good at following directions, but this upgrade would make us a lot more efficient.

Again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES!!

Jack G

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Hi Jack,

I reckon the key to this is that 7 Pro offers you the facilities of Project Export which would allow you to set up the preferred directories, files names and formats for the users (though they could change that if they wanted to but that doesn't sound like it should be a problem. I haven't seen the Standard version but from what I understand it does not have that functionality.

I know that people are often constrained by budgets when making buying decisions but I decided to buy the Pro version the first time the differential product was released and I have stuck with it since the additional functionality has always been worth the expense. However it does leave me a little spoiled for choice of functionality and with a tendency to assume that everyone else has the same! My apologies for the assumptions. Your people can still export as you describe (as far as I can tell) but you cannot control the export activity from within the application as far as I am aware. If your users were not 'hands on' you could use a script - you could give them one anyway I guess. But Pro would be a better solution I reckon.

Best regards,

Grant

Jacktheg _

It turns out I need "7 Pro" to have the capabilities shown in the brochure.

Jack G

Mike Urbonas

Jacktheg, What you are describing is Project Exports...the ability to run a series of export jobs, one after the other.  This is a Monarch V7 Pro feature. 

V7 Standard does not offer Project Exports capability.  However, both V7 Standard and Pro both offer improved export capabilities, specifically an Export Wizard: Export all filters and/or all summaries to Excel, Access, etc., at one time. 

Of course, with V7 Pro, you can define an export job to export all filters and/or all summaries as part of an overall Project Export.

Hope this helps

Mike