1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Mike Urbonas RSS

Blank Fields

Tim _

I'm new to Monarch, so please excuse me if this a simple question.

I have imported a report and am creating a template.  Some of the fields in the report do not contain data and thus the whole record is being ignored.

Hod do I trap a field with blanks and alpha characters?

TIA

Tim

• Blank Fields
          Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by Tim:

I'm new to Monarch, so please excuse me if this a simple question.

I have imported a report and am creating a template.  Some of the fields in the report do not contain data and thus the whole record is being ignored.

Hod do I trap a field with blanks and alpha characters?

TIA

Tim[/b][/quote]Spend a little time with the Learning Guide on trapping using blanks, alpha, numeric, numeric OR, and non-blank characters. 

When you are in the Report view, creating a model template, you will see some buttons with these symbols on them:

Ã = Alpha trap - means look for report lines with an alpha character at this location in the trap

Ñ = Numeric trap - same as above, except for numeric characters

ß = Blank trap - means look for report lines where there is a blank space at this location in the trap

Ø = Non-Blank trap - opposite to Blank trap, look for ANY character in this location in the trap

| = Numeric OR trap - when you know a number will appear in one place "or" the other, use this kind of trap

The time you spend with the Learning Guide and/or Help file to understand these kinds of traps to mine the data from your reports will repay you many times over!

Mike