5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Dirk Schulze RSS

Monarch v7 Pro Project Exports

Dirk Schulze

Has anybody used the Project Export feature in v7 Pro?  The brochure gives some info, but I don't know if it will do what I need it to do. 

Currently I've set up Data Pump v4 to append data on a daily basis via the Scheduler to numerous Access databases (were talking about 200 separate databases for different investors).  We've had DP for awhile and the other users here are using Monarch v4 (I'm on v6 Pro), so that's not a problem.  But the drawback is that we have to export to Access 97, which we'd like to phase out.  Also, modeling in v4 irritates me.

Will the Project Export feature be able to accomplish this task?  To quote the brochure:  "Monarch V7 Pro's automation capabilities are more powerful than ever".  Is it meant to replace DP?

I realize that v7 is new, but I hope someone can help me out.

[size="1"][ June 06, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: skinman ][/size]

• Monarch v7 Pro Project Exports
          Grant Perkins

Have a look at page 6 of the  [url="http://www.datawatch.com/pdf/products/monarch/Monarch_V7_Reviewers_Guide.pdf"]Reviewers Guide[/url] for V7. Small, compact but, if you let your imagination run a little it says it all.

I'm not a Data Pump user so can't offer a direct answer but my understanding of Data Pump is that it has a different intended overall purpose but obviously some functionality is likely to overlap.

If your need is to take a report or database file(s)based source, manipulate it and then create multiple outputs of the table or a collection of summaries (or the same summary with a number of different filters or in a number of different file formats ... etc.) with the ability to control how the exports are managed in terms af replace files or append to existing files (where appropriate), then the answer is V7 will more than likely have what you need as core functionality.

I don't know of any limits on the version of Access you can export to. Any constraints would be imposed by the Jet 4 database engine. Access 2000 is fine as far as I have found. I don't have XP to try.

Hope this helps. I'm sure some of the other guys who were able to get to Vegas will be able provide a more complete response.

Grant

Originally posted by skinman:

Has anybody used the Project Export feature in v7 Pro?  The brochure gives some info, but I don't know if it will do what I need it to do. 

Currently I've set up Data Pump v4 to append data on a daily basis via the Scheduler to numerous Access databases (were talking about 200 separate databases for different investors).  We've had DP for awhile and the other users here are using Monarch v4 (I'm on v6 Pro), so that's not a problem.  But the drawback is that we have to export to Access 97, which we'd like to phase out.  Also, modeling in v4 irritates me.

Will the Project Export feature be able to accomplish this task?  To quote the brochure:  "Monarch V7 Pro's automation capabilities are more powerful than ever".  Is it meant to replace DP?

I realize that v7 is new, but I hope someone can help me out. /b[/quote]

Winn _

skinman,

Project exports does not replace Data Pump. Project exports like projects only deal a certain set of report files and a model. SO if you are using multiple models then Data Pump is still the way to go.

Dirk Schulze

Winn -

I want to make sure I understand:  Using project export I can automate the application of one model to numerous reports and export my filters or summaries into a single file or individual files.  Once this is done all it takes is one click to run the export.

So if I want to export the data from one report using 3 different models I would have to set up 3 separate exports?

Does project export allow you to append data to an Access table or are you limited to the creation of a new table?

Winn _

skinman,

Think of project exports as a combination of projects and export table/summary. A project allows you to set up a default view/filter/sort/etc. of your data based on a model and a report or a specific set of reports. You can then manually export that view to a text file, spreadsheet, or database table.

The project exports allow you to do this quicker and more efficiently. Say I have five filters that I use on my data and I want to export each one to a seperate Access database. I can set up five export jobs to accomplish this and then run them all at once. The exports worj the same as normal, so you can append data to an existing Access table.

I hope that clears things up. Let me know if it does.

Dirk Schulze

I've never used project files outside of the tutorial, but I believe I understand.  It sounds like project exports would save time over doing my process manually, but Data Pump would still be the most efficient option.  Thanks for your help, Winn.  You too, Grant.