5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Lynette _ RSS

Using a constant

Lynette _

Hi everyone,

I use monarch v5pro.

I have created a model which extracts amounts in 2 currrencies form a text report. One USD and the second our local currency.. My summary should be able to convert the USD to the local currency by multiplying it with a roe which is not available in the text file.

Of course I could input the amt in the calculated filed...else export to excel and the like... but would like to know if it is possible in monarch so as a constant field our local currency can be volatile.

Kindly advise.

Regards,

Lynette

• Using a constant
          Grant Perkins

Hi Lynette,

If there is any chance that you could get the upgrade to V6, or even better the new V7, your problem could be solved easily as both offer the facility to have a calculated field type which prompts the user for a value at run time. Simply type in today's exchange rate and off you go. However there may be some other needs that would still point to the use of one of the ideas below.

In V5 you would need to enter the rate for the day in the formula for the calculated field as you have recognised. Another way would be to use the database join facility to a separate file (simple text file on the PC so easy to maintain) with 2 columns. One column gives a link to the currency in question and the second the value you want to use. So for example if you have a currency code of ABC and an exchange rate of 99.99 you would simply have 2 columns

Code Exch Rate

ABC, 99.99

Pick the Code as a field in you model. Link to the text file to get the exchange rate for each record. Then you can use the exchange rate and the local currency value in a calculated field.

If the report does not actually print the currency code to be used simply make it up with a calculated field. For example a calculated field that sets a constant such as:

if there is a local currency value (Field value greater than 0) then the code for the currency = "ABC"

Then link the calculated field to you external database join as above.

One benefit of the external file is that it could be managed centrally (and accessed via a network?) rather than expect each user to make an entry each time they run the process or change the file on their PC file at least once every day they need to run the report. It also facilitates some automation which might otherwise be difficult to control should that be an issue for you.

It could also be used as a table with multiple entries fro different currencies or, with  little more effort on the formula front, become a historical lookup table if the date was included in the file and a new line added every day.

Just a few thought. I hope they make sense. Let me know if they don't and I will try to clarify some more.

Grant 

Originally posted by Lynette:

Hi everyone,

I use monarch v5pro.

I have created a model which extracts amounts in 2 currrencies form a text report. One USD and the second our local currency.. My summary should be able to convert the USD to the local currency by multiplying it with a roe which is not available in the text file.

Of course I could input the amt in the calculated filed...else export to excel and the like... but would like to know if it is possible in monarch so as a constant field our local currency can be volatile.

Kindly advise.

Regards,

Lynette /b[/quote]

• Using a constant
            Lynette _

Hi Grant,

Thanks... you suggestion is great...i will try it out right away.

Since you wrote about upgrading let me ask you more.. I am absolutely keen on the upgrade but at work we all use the pro5 and I am the one who normally creates and promotes the use of monarch..

How great would be the challanges if few of us upgrade... can we share the monarch models... with others who may not have the benefit of the upgrade.

Regards,

Lynette

• Using a constant
              Grant Perkins

Hi Lynette,

Pro 5 can use models created in Pro 6 but of course does not support the additional Pro 6 functions so you may need to design models for your V5 users with that in mind for some time after you have become comfortable with using the V6 features. But apart from that small item I can't think of any other points to make.

I have not experienced any problems but then I don't have a full production requirement to support or any notable need to use automation. There may be some differences in those areas if they are important to you. Jet export engine for example. Perhaps someone else might be able to fill in with information about that?

6 is a good and useful upgrade. 7 might be even better but I think there may be a few extra issues to deal with if trying to create models for 5, not the least of which would be the need to 'forget' that there would be so many facilities you would not be able to use for the V5 users. I would still recommend reviewing 7 if you have the time.

Grant

Originally posted by Lynette:

Hi Grant,

Thanks... you suggestion is great...i will try it out right away.

Since you wrote about upgrading let me ask you more.. I am absolutely keen on the upgrade but at work we all use the pro5 and I am the one who normally creates and promotes the use of monarch..

How great would be the challanges if few of us upgrade... can we share the monarch models... with others who may not have the benefit of the upgrade.

Regards,

Lynette /b[/quote]

• Using a constant
                Dirk Schulze

I am currently using Pro v6 and have made models that the Standard v4 users here have been able to use (as long as I don't use floating traps).  I have rarely had any compatibility problems and the ones that have popped up I've been able to program around in the lower version of Monarch.

• Using a constant
                  Lynette _

Thanks guys... will check out the latest version now that I know we can workaround it.