1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Can I do this with Monarch?

mycroftholmes _

We've been using Monarch for years, and love. However, I have come up against a new requirement, and don't know if Monarch can handle it:

There is a report file, which has inconsistent formats on the pages, but the header is the same, and contain an account number. What we need to do is read the header line - if the account number is from a given company (info stored in a separate table), then take the whole page. If not, ignore the page. Then output the selected pages back to a print-image.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this, other than hand-coding the whole thing?

Thanks

• Can I do this with Monarch?
          Grant Perkins

Have you made any progress with this?

I have just looked at the post and it occurs to me that you might be able to do this with V6, sort of. Can't prove it as I am not near my V6 system at the moment but here are my thoughts. The actual report may not allow this concept of course!

Select the entire page as a MEMO field and the header line with the account number as whatever is necessary. You should end up with 2 data columns, one of which is the account number.

Link to the 'database' that has the list of accounts that your base for those you want to include and create a calculated field to indicate where a match exists in the two lists. Filter using the 'existence' flag.

Print the Memo field column as the new version of the report.

There may well be reasons why this will not work, for example memo fields do have limited size, but it may be worth looking at.

12/09/2002

Have now checked this on a 6.01 system. Seems to work as far as the print is concerned but NOT VIA PRINTING THE TABLE. Something odd with memo fields related to print control characters (see other posts) but works fine if you EXPORT the file as a fixed length text file (hide the other columns).

You may need to play around with the page layout (number of lines, orientation, etc.) in whatever program you use to review and print the new document. I used Wordpad - layout was OK but it needed to be played with to recreate appropriate page breaks. Much will depend on what is in your original report file.

Grant

Originally posted by mycroftholmes:

We've been using Monarch for years, and love. However, I have come up against a new requirement, and don't know if Monarch can handle it:

There is a report file, which has inconsistent formats on the pages, but the header is the same, and contain an account number. What we need to do is read the header line - if the account number is from a given company (info stored in a separate table), then take the whole page. If not, ignore the page. Then output the selected pages back to a print-image.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this, other than hand-coding the whole thing?

Thanks[/b][/quote]

[size="1"][ December 09, 2002, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]