5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Model files with ".mod" extension

Bret _

I have recently upgraded to V8 Pro (Standalone) from V6 Pro (Standalone).  There are other users in our organization on Version 5 Standard (Network Based).  I used to be able to create model files and just send them to the users to apply in production.  Since my upgrade, it doesn't appear that I can save a model file in the .mod format anymore.  My only option is to save as an .xmod format.

Is there a way to save a model file in V8 Pro so it is backward compatible with previous versions of Monarch?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

• Model files with ".mod" extension
          Grant Perkins

Is there a way to save a model file in V8 Pro so it is backward compatible with previous versions of Monarch?

/QB[/quote]Bret,

Unless there is some interesting unpublished back door conversion the answer is - no, no way to save text based mod files from V8. Everything is now xml based. V7 would enable you to save as either mod or xmod. Not sure if that observation could be of any help to you in any way but I thought it was worth clarifying where the change occurred. I suppose it might be feasible to take a compatible V8 generated model into V7 and then save it as a .mod file, but that does not help much if you skipped V7 as an upgrade.

I have to say that I think I would find it ever harder to remember what to avoid from V7 or V8 when creating models for V5 users. Perhaps, assuming a general upgrade of the network version is not an option at the moment, the best bet might be to retain availability of your V6 installation for support purposes? But I would think that there might be significant benefits all round from a general V8 upgrade, not the least being in support time and costs.

HTH

Grant

Bret _

Thanks alot Grant.  That's exactly what I needed to know so I can make my case for budgeting an upgrade for the network users.  Thanks again.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Bret:

Thanks alot Grant.  That's exactly what I needed to know so I can make my case for budgeting an upgrade for the network users.  Thanks again. /b[/quote]Glad I could help!     

The additional functionality should prove especially useful as well of course ... and the model changes audit record and all the focus on the appliance of Monarch for Sarbanes-Oxley and compliance in general should be a strong argument to support your proposal I would think.

Good luck.

Grant

Bret _

Do you know if we can still upgrade our network licenses from V5 Standard to V8 Standard?  Or if we need to purchase full licenses for V8?

Thanks  :confused:

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Bret:

Do you know if we can still upgrade our network licenses from V5 Standard to V8 Standard?  Or if we need to purchase full licenses for V8?

Thanks   :confused:  /b[/quote]Bret,

V5 is a little ancient these days. In fact the Monarch pages on the Datawatch web site  [url="http://monarch.datawatch.com/monarch-standard.asp"]here[/url] indicate that V6 is now out of upgrade offer coverage. Not unreasonable really since even V7 was released about 30 months ago.

Also you may just want to take some time to check out the cost differential for the Pro version. The functionality increase for the higher price point is quite a good trade in my opinion and might well offer you many improved opportunities for delivering solutions that the end users need or will need in the near future. I am speculating a little about your requirements but I found the Pro version so much more flexible for my purposes when it became available way back when that I have never considered the Standard version since - though I do appreciate that it will have its place.

I hope this helps.

Grant