3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Bill Watson RSS

Filtering a text field

ron cousino

I use Monarch Pro V9.01 and am having a problem in filtering out records using the .NOT. operator.  My expression is built as follows:

.NOT. ="** DO NOT USE  **".  Here is the example from the report [font="courier"] MUTUAL GROUP          ** DO NOT USE **

N.W. SHEET METAL          ** DO NOT USE **

NATIONAL AMERICAN          ** DO NOT USE **

NATIONAL GROUP LIFE          ** DO NOT USE **

NATIONAL STUDENT SERV          ** DO NOT USE **

NATIONWIDE INS          ** DO NOT USE **

NEW YORK LIFE     SUITE 600     ** DO NOT USE **

NHSRA          ** DO NOT USE **

NORTHWESTERN NATIONAL          ** DO NOT USE **

NW NATIONAL          ** DO NOT USE **

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH MNGMT          ** DO NOT USE **

/font[/quote]

• Filtering a text field
          RalphB _

Ron,

Have you tried the instr() function?  You could set up your filter something like:

instr("** DO NOT USE **",[ADDRESS 2])=0.

If you want to include the phrase, change it to <>0.

HTH.

Ralph

• Filtering a text field
            Data Kruncher

Technically there's nothing wrong with your filter expression Ron. It should work just fine.

Perhaps your address field is picking up a leading space or two and that's why it's not filtering properly.

While Ralph has presented a perfectly usable alternative, you might want to try:

[font="courier"]Trim()<>"** DO NOT USE **"[/font][/quote]Changing the .NOT. and = to <> is strictly personal preference. I find it easier to read. Both would work just fine.

Kruncher

• Filtering a text field
              Bill Watson

Originally posted by Data Kruncher:

Technically there's nothing wrong with your filter expression Ron. It should work just fine.

Perhaps your address field is picking up a leading space or two and that's why it's not filtering properly.

While Ralph has presented a perfectly usable alternative, you might want to try:

[font="courier"]Trim()<>"** DO NOT USE **"[/font][/quote]Changing the .NOT. and = to <> is strictly personal preference. I find it easier to read. Both would work just fine.

Kruncher /b[/quote]There is of course the fact that * may be being treated as a wild card, although I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference in this case. You could try stripping out the *'s and trying with simply "DO NOT USE"